Recruiting-High Stakes September

I’m not so sure of that. There’s absolutely a pecking order and Kaufman is probably 1B to Keels’ 1A for ‘21 (he’s that important) but I don’t think the door is totally closed on Gregg. Stranger things have happened!

2 Likes

If they were interested they would offer. Since announcing his commitment date an interview with 247 with Gregg where he didn’t mention UVA and then Gonzaga offered.

1 Like

I’m chuckling at the rules that preclude direct contact but allow him to arrange exactly that.

1 Like

And can facetime maybe from 30 feet away but no face to face. Total joke

7 Likes

Lotta gray area these days, fluid situations, and coaches and players that change their minds At the drop of a hat.

1 Like

possibly. But the fact we werent even mentioned makes me think otherwise. If he has a change of mind it will probably be to one of the other schools he listed. Think it’s Arizona unless the Gonzaga offer swayed his mind or maybe he wants instate Oregon even though they arent making a push for him

I think we have to get used to the new reality of how they recruit. I doubt they’re getting Gregg even if they do offer now, but things have changed. Offers are often closer to the final step than the first now. It’s something I’m really going to start emphasizing with the 2022 class when coaches can go back out. A lot more talk about where TB spends his time, a lot less worry about who has offers in hand. I think I’ve always been ahead of the curve focusing in on that but it needs to go even further now. Trey Kaufman should have been seen as a priority recruit from the start for example. Tony told us that with his actions.

16 Likes

I haven’t checked it this year but last year Florida had to be the biggest one. Wake Forest and Va Tech was right up there with them

That I can agree with. However the dude is committing next week. If its UVA I imagine he would have an offer by at least now.

Given Trey’s new priority status, should we plan for a Commit Party next week? (Did he set a date?) Is UNC a real threat?

1 Like

From what everyone has said about Trey, I wouldn’t expect a hasty decision. He’ll take these trips and think it over. I’d set the over/under at 17 days from Monday Four team race. UVA is in better shape but yeah UNC is a threat for sure.

3 Likes

I think it is worth adding that there is another element to Coach Bennett’s new recruiting paradigm. Or, at least, it seems there is to me. I have a suspicion that the staff is developing a less “do or die” attitude about the recruitment of high school stars. If they get them: that’s great. If they don’t, there is the emerging transfer market in the spring. (Not to be confused with the grad transfer.) The signings of Braxton Key, Tomas Woldetensae, Sam Hauser, and, now, Trey Murphy might be construed as an developing trend. If your primary recruiting targets don’t commit, you wait until spring to see who enters the portal. I am beginning to suspect the staff sees this as preferable to offering a prep player they haven’t fully vetted. My numbers may be a bit off, but from 2009 through 2016, I think Coach Bennett signed three transfers (Gill, Nichols, and Thompson). Over the last three cycles, he has brought in four. Of course, that’s just an uninformed thought.

8 Likes

Also gained Shayok, Kihei Clark, and Justin Anderson as decommits from other programs (players we originally recruited)

3 Likes

My mind has gone blank. Who did Shayok decommit from to come to UVA?

Marquette. The Buzz headed to VT and Shayok came to us

5 Likes

Thanks, now I remember. That was really bugging me, lol

HGN As of today, is UVa still in play for Murray or have they fallen behind both Stanford and Maryland? I know you mentioned Bennett had helped tighten things up in the last couple of weeks. Is he still a realistic possibility?

2 Likes

I think they were expecting Taine’s decision over the weekend but he’s having a hard time. Might be in by now and not announced, I don’t know. They felt like it was trending in the right direction. TB had two good talks with him over a short time. And I heard over the weekend there had been steady contact. It’s all TB, which means no one’s gonna know much.

14 Likes

Can’t have J Willy spilling the beans on his podcast.

4 Likes

we sure can try though

12 Likes