Recruiting

Ok, but then I can pull “it’s not so simplistic” card on you:. Development of what types of players? Hint 
 (ok, answer) 
 the really good ones

2 Likes

I wouldn’t be so cavalier (pardon the pun) about “marginal” improvement. The team finished with a regular-season record of 18-12. A marginal improvement of, say, four games would mean a record of 22-8 – a solid season, an easy NCAA berth, probably good enough for a top three finish in the conference (and a double-bye in the tournament). Are we really at the point where we sneer at that?

More importantly, I think the improvement will be much more than marginal.

For one thing, we ARE adding better players. There’s a Top 10 recruiting class on its way in.

For another: Do you really think that everyone on the team has reached their ceiling? That between now and next year, none of them are going to be better? I don’t think Reece or Kadin are anywhere near their potential. I think Taine can contribute significantly. I think Armaan will be more like the player he was at Indiana. I think the rotation will be deeper, which will help keep everyone fresher and more effective. And a year together will make the team more cohesive.

Look, I agree with you: Adding good players, particularly if they fit a need, will make the team better. That’s obvious. But I’m just not nearly as dismissive about what we have now, or as dire about next year’s prospects.

12 Likes

Players make themselves great players within solid systems. Coaches dont make great players elite, but they do provide the tools

11 Likes

Yes yes and yes 
 more talent!

2 Likes

I don’t disagree with that. It’s worth remembering that there is a group of that sort preparing to matriculate this summer. It is also worth remembering that recruiting, while extremely important, remains a crapshoot. When he committed to Virginia, what were your expectations of Kihei Clark? When they signed their LOIs, what were your expectations of Casey Morsell and/or Jabri Abdul-Rahim? Justin Anderson and Evan Nolte arrived with virtually identical recruiting rankings. London Perrantes was well outside of the Top 100. So, while it is the development of the “really good players” that propels the program forward, how do you know which are the really good players? The various scouting services get the Top 10 to Top 20 right (depending on the year), but they rarely stay in college long enough to realize their potential. Virginia’s sweet spot appears to be the recruit in the #40 to #70 slot, but, as we have seen recently, that is no guarantee of success. Essentially, there are no quick fixes, IMO. And, while I would love for Reneau to join the UVa team, I view its happening as beyond unlikely. Not impossible, but very improbable. And, even were it to happen, I wouldn’t expect his impact to be immediate.

4 Likes

And, just to add a bit to that line of thought: Virginia began the 2022 season with a very inexperienced front line. At times, their defense was atrocious. I thought that they made significant gains over the course of the season. The Virginia team which finished the season was significantly better than the one which began it. I see no reason to believe that the improvement won’t continue when the 2023 season begins.

4 Likes

Yeah, all fair. I lost the thread a bit as I was responding and trying to supervise at the playground. Bullet point thoughts:

• next years core 6 playing similar minutes, plus someone filling Kody’s minutes, is probably a tourney team, and that’s great
  • I expect one or two or three of recruits plus Taine to horn in on some of the core 6 minutes
  • That, plus contributions from BVP or McNeil should make us even better
  • My point wrt Reneau is this: there’s a tradeoff to taking minutes away from a guy like Papi who’s been around, but for a talent like Reneau, I think we should welcome it, and accept the tradeoff

The improvement will continue. The slope of the second derivative will go down quite a bit (unless I’m totally messing up my math). In layman’s terms: they’ll improve, but not that much

6 Likes

I agree completely. They had so much room for improvement at the beginning of last season, that that slope of the derivative, be it 1st, 2nd, or 3rd :), necessarily will go down. On the other hand, as their improvements become more refined, that doesn’t mean they won’t be as impactful. With experience come the repetitions of doing the little things which lead to success. I also expect the frosh to assume more than the minutes used by Stattmann. Among other things, I believe that Coach Bennett will have some flexibility WRT to the minutes played by Gardner, Franklin, and Clark. Even Beekman. Last year, those four averaged over 33 mpg with Franklin getting a low of 29.5 and Clark a high of 36 mpg. I don’t believe (and I hope) that they won’t be asked to play those sorts of minutes next year. I have a suspicion that many of Clark’s turnovers at the end of the season were due to fatigue. If not physical, then mental. Hopefully, the frosh plus Murray will be well enough prepared to allow Coach Bennett that flexibility.

4 Likes

Since it’s quiet over the weekend as staff are focused on BVP’s visit and I need something to get frustrated about, was trying to find any recent clips from Dylan James and instead I find myself asking “How do independent (not even full blown EYBL Nike or Adidas) AAU teams have better jerseys than us?” LOL. Go through the photos with the arrows; every single one of those jerseys has more personality than ours.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CcOqEw9Mhy4/

Don’t think Trey Murphy and Virginia in 2019 had anything to do with each other :wink: To your point Trey’s 2020/21 team was a down defensive year.

1 Like

Maybe I’m old but all those AAU jerseys looks horrible, lol. You’re not gonna find any standard college jerseys like that.

Oops! Thanks for the correction. I meant to type 2021. Original post now corrected. Thank you.

1 Like

I’m with the majority who just want more orange. Either a return to the national championship jersey or pick a throwback jersey.

will ferrell snl GIF

6 Likes

If you want some real uniform envy:

I would love a throwback like that

7 Likes

Getting a Jackie Moon vibe from the combo of the last two posts.

I dont get takes like this (sorry if this person is on the board lol/not a slight at all). We lose nothing from recruiting Malik Reneau. The only other prospect available to us is BVP for that spot.

Also in 2021 we had to recruit Keels. None of the 50-150 ranked kids would come onto our roster with Jabri Casey and Carson already on board. Of course in hindsight but that’s hindsight.

And with the 2023 pg spot it absolutely is a spot where we can go big or go home. I would prefer a kid in the 35-75 range but w/e

7 Likes

First of all, I was told there would be no math.

Second, I agree with both of you, I think. @haney, wrt the 2nd derivative, are you referring to the improvement of the defense returning players? If so, I think that you’re both correct that this will show a less steep slope, but, to @73CAV’s point, still very significant. Just the communication and familiarity with the system will pay huge dividends in terms of help defense and cutting down on paint touches or the rash of uncontested drives to the rack.

But I think there is also going to be a big dividend paid by simply having a more solid nucleus of players in practice who can mentor the newcomers. Add to that the athleticism of the incoming class and the familiarity of McKneely with the packline, and I foresee a bit steeper slope for improvement of the team’s defense overall.

2 Likes

I don’t think this can be emphasized enough. Tony Bennett is a fantastic coach. He can get his teams to perform at or close to their peak ability. A lot of people also credit him with all the player skill development. This I disagree with.

Coach Bennett can see what a player can become and teach him how he can get there, but it is up to the player’s hard work and effort to improve. Guys improve when they’re working out or playing on their own time.

Tony Bennett isn’t some magician that can transform a player in 20 hours a week of team practices. Most of that time is working on team concepts and preparing for opponents. A dude isn’t trying out a new step back 3 in transition in team practices.

7 Likes

I’ve been fortunate to be able to watch a few of Tony’s practices. I didn’t keep count of how much time was spent on what, so it might be true that “most” of the time is spent on team concepts and preparing for the next opponent. But there is an AWFUL lot of time spent on developing individual skills – more than I’ve seen from any other coach. He runs drills to work on defensive slides, closeouts, rebounding positioning, setting screens, running off screens, even making sure players are passing the ball precisely into a shooter’s pocket.

One of the keys to Virginia’s success under Tony has been attention to detail. Developing individual skills is a big part of that.

Of course, that doesn’t change the larger point: All the drills in the world mean nothing if the player is not putting in the time and effort to improve.

18 Likes