Recruiting

Jordan Brand classic if you want to watch Malik Reneau before he commits to Indiana instead of us.

8pm

(I will be watching NBA instead but might check in and get false hope)

4 Likes

Gone before we even hardly knew ye

4 Likes

Pain

NOOOOOOOOOO

Things working in our favor

1. Doesn’t see himself as one and done. Moreso 3-4 year player, maybe 2.

2. Miami’s NIL pitch not that effective on him? Not in his top list anymore despite originally being so

Things not working in our favor

1. Visiting Indiana this weekend with Montverde Teammate JHS (who is an indiana commit/ 5 star pg in 2022).

2. I refuse to get my hopes up until he is signed LOL.

13 Likes

Re: Malik Reneau. Indiana has a clear path to early playing time At the moment, they only have three front court players on the roster, and, the last time I checked, Jackson-Davis was undecided about the NBA. Virginia cannot offer similar opportunities. Now, if Reneau is open to a redshirt year, or its near equivalent, then UVa may have a chance, but I’m skeptical. For these reasons, I doubt that Virginia will add a “big” to next year’s team (unless it is a lightly considered “project”). The 2023 class seems a far more likely place for similar players. Of course, I know nothing other than what is gleaned from afar.

2 Likes

Jackson-Davis leaning towards coming back. And Race Thompson came back for them. Just as crowded if not more crowded. Also have Jordan Geronimo who might transfer but also they want to keep him and convert him to a 3.

Reneau would start for us as a 2nd year if not halfway through his first year beating out either Gardner or Kadin (Gardner Reneau would be like that Gill Wilkins front court). He isn’t a one and done but he is also still a 5 star level talent who is extremely skilled, very athletic, and fits a “violent” need on the roster in lineups. No way in hell he would redshirt LOL

5 Likes

He’d take Papi’s minutes, possibly.

2 Likes

I think any frontcourt player that’s brought in likely forces Papi into spot minutes or strictly matchup based ones.

4 Likes

It is so very unlikely that a true frosh would start at any time in next year’s front court. Given the time it takes them to learn the responsibilities of Coach Bennett’s defensive schemes, it seems more than improbable that Reneau could overtake Caffaro, Shedrick, or Gardner. How he might compete with Traudt is speculative, so the likelihood of him being a starter in 2024 is also less than certain. And, just to do the math, Indiana has three projected front court players in Jackson-Davis, Thompson, and Duncomb. Geronimo seems far more likely to be a SF. Virginia will have four. Has Reneau even visited Virginia? Has he talked about scheduling a visit? When was the last time someone from Virginia visited him? Has it been since March 22nd? I wouldn’t be surprised if Reneau commits to IU on his visit.

And, I agree that it would be unlikely he would redshirt which is just another reason I don’t think he would consider Virginia.

1 Like

The same was said of Jack Salt. Among other things, every year it was said that Jay Huff would overtake him. The only thing that reduced Salt’s minutes was an injury. I imagine that Shedrick and Caffaro will continue to alternate depending on matchups, but, given their experience at the defensive end of the court, I doubt that any true frosh would take away significant minutes. The available minutes in the front court will be in relief of Gardner. Whether any addition to the team could supplant Traudt in that role is very unknown. At least, that’s how I see it, but I’ve been wrong before.

2 Likes

We have never had a talent out of HS like Reneau. Also Trey Murphy picked up the defense with barely any summer due to COVID. Elite athletes won’t struggle

6 Likes

Mamadi did did take Salt’s minutes in 18-19 as the season progressed but to your point, Mamadi wasn’t a freshman when he did it.

2 Likes

Salt was also dealing with back issues that year which limited his minutes. However, Diakite and Salt did alternate as matchups dictated, and would have done so even without the injury, IMO.

Just feel the need to add: want marginal improvement over last year? Do the same thing as last year, maybe add a MAC player.

Want better results? (I do) then add better players. This isn’t rocket science

5 Likes

Among other things, Trey Murphy III wasn’t playing as a “big” and he wasn’t a true frosh. He was playing SF and he was in his third year of collegiate competition. And, Virginia’s defense in 2021 wasn’t its usual self, either. It would have been interesting to see what Coach Bennett might have done if he had had other playing options. It’s worth recalling that the original assumption was that Murphy would redshirt.

Well, he is considering Virginia very seriously

5 Likes

Those are fair points.

My gut just says if we do get Malik Reneau he will be getting heavy minutes/3rd big in the rotation behind Jayden and Kadin. 4th Traudt, and we save Papi for Armando Bacot and any needed face maulings.

7 Likes

The issue isn’t quite that simplistic. While you do absolutely want better players, there exists the question of how best to acquire them. Do you recruit them, or do you develop them? Under Coach Bennett, it has been a combination of both. You have to recruit good players with potential. You also have to recognize that they don’t arrive on the Grounds as completed works. I fully expect next year’s players to be better than they were last year. That has been a consistent pattern with Coach Bennett. I also don’t expect the frosh to be better, overall, than the returning lettermen, although I expect expect them to add some skills which will create playing opportunities for them. Under Coach Bennett, it has been rare for a true frosh to assume a major starting role immediately (Mike Tobey and London Perrantes???). At least, not since the 2012-13 season. I don’t expect that to change. Development has been the key to success at Virginia.

2 Likes

Is he 22 or 23? I’m confused