Reece! Future NPOY!

Given Bennett’s history, I see 0 possibility that he starts McKneeley and Milicic over a healthy Franklin. Also, if Caffaro is back and healthy, I see 0 possibility that he’s not in the rotation splitting time with Shedrick. And I don’t see Bennett not letting him come back. You don’t redshirt a guy and then not let him stay for his 5th year. I also think Gardner stays next year. I don’t think Bennett has ever started a freshman big before and we’ve had ones more highly rated than Traudt.

1 Like

It’s kind of hard to believe but Jack Salt started 9 games as a freshman on the 2015/2016 team.

3 Likes

I think he can get to that place, I just dont think shooting 40% over the balance of the season is what does it. As Mr Fresh pointed out there are some other veneus he needs to impress in and I think that includes at least one more year in college. Mr GotNext makes a good point too.

2 Likes

He was a redshirt though

3 Likes

Better than Traudt? We’ve not had a 6-10 freshman with 27 foot range and a 38 inch vertical who played point guard in high school.
He’s the best big 1st year taking into account strength, athleticism and skill this century.
Yes we need to see if it translates. And also my rotation didn’t have Papi in it. My roster does. My hope is that by next year, Kadin is closer to his ceiling which is higher than Papi’s.

3 Likes

If you don’t think Papi or a fifth year stattman is playing you’re crazy. We’ve seen this over and over and over again

4 Likes

Gardner has been reported as a 2 year stay since he committed. Agreed that seniors Papi and Franklin will be key rotation pieces based on precedent. Same with Carson transferring. Stattmann safe to assume is leaving. The wild card is Clark. What if he wants to stay?

3 Likes

I dont see it happening without the help of a fee other things many have mentioned. He needs to torch it down the stretch and a deep tourney run or a big game on a national stage. That or a huge summer on the camp circuit.

Even with that if he’s only getting mid to low 2nd round looks I’d say he needs to come back. In many ways his 3rd yr will be the first opportunity he really has to showcase what he can do. 2st yr was marked by COVID 2nd by a bad team. 3rd yr he’ll be a seasoned vet on a seasoned and improved team. Time to make a step

4 Likes

Thanks to Austin Nichols nose candy issue

Edit - never mind that was the next year

2 Likes

Aledgid issue in the 16 never made it to 17 season

1 Like

I didn’t say better. I’m not a scout and don’t watch enough basketball to debate “better.” I said more highly rated.

However, I can look at 247s history. I guess it’s just Diakite, but the other top 100 guys didn’t start either. Thought Tobey was rated higher than he was. Interesting the number of redshirts in this group.

Traudt - #48, 0.9795
Diakite - #31, 0.9871
Huff - #57, 0.9772
Shedrick - #68, 0.9737
Tobey - #78, 0.9709
James Johnson(!!!) - #72 - 0.9707

Eh, maybe you’re right and he will start.

I wouldn’t count on him starting over Gardner if he comes back. Maybe a 30/10 or 25/15 split there. I wouldn’t count on a 5th year Caffaro being glued to the bench either. Unless Shedrick stops fouling so much, I’d anticipate a 25/15 or even a 20/20 minutes share for those 2 guys. Until the past couple years, Bennett never had a big play more than 30 mins a game (except for Mike Scott’s senior year I think). Maybe that’s part of his recent bench shortening philosophy.

Lower rated guys
Caffaro - #120 - 0.9410
Wilkins
Regan
Reuter
McKoy (I guess)
Badocchi (maybe he was a wing, I can’t remember)
Mitchell
Atkins
Salt

That’s everyone I saw listed on 247 that was a top 1000 player. Not much to draw from there really.

No one is an bigger violator than me but when we have someone cool enough to start the Reece!! thread can we atleast mention him in the post. Like people do “Regards” on emails

8 Likes

Despite what he might do the rest of the year, there is zero chance that Reece!! is anywhere near ready to declare. Next year? Maybe, if he continues to improve the jump shot, his body, and has a real chance at running the team. Talent is there, but he’s not one of the top 100 prospects - yet.

3 Likes

That’s not far off from a description of Igor either and he doesn’t play at all. Think a better way to determine who will play is to start with the current lineup and figure out who is going to leave or get significantly reduced minutes. With Bennett’s commitment to those guys, I can’t figure who it would be that Traudt displaces. McKneeley or Bond either. And do Igor and Taine continue to watch?

Reece!

8 Likes

Reece!! gets his steals in different ways than I remember guys in the past. So quick at on the ball poking it out. Not sure the comparison. Mookie Blaylock?

3 Likes

Who we talking about?

Oh…REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEECE!!!

3 Likes

Box score only had him for 1 steal - these stat people at away games are terrible!!! He had 2 on my count and could have been credited with a 3rd. The UVA Sports information guys need to audit this.

2 Likes

Fred Van Vleet? https://youtu.be/BySI3Rj2o5Y

1 Like

I like the Mookie and the Glove comparison - other one from way back is Alvin Robertson. Today I would say Chris Paul gets sneaky steals and Lonzo Ball

1 Like