State of the Trail Report

Let’s make this the new 2021 recruiting thread for the rest of the season. The old one has grown a little too long.

18 Likes

Thanks for the update. I believe we have reason to be cautiously optimistic. Looking forward to the ride

3 Likes

And just like that, here’s another offer out. First one since DaRon Holmes in November.

Big guard Kendall Brown out of Sunrise Christian (KS), although he’s from Minnesota. They saw him him a lot over the summer. I sort of expected it to come then. I’m guessing someone made the trip to Kansas over the break.

He has an official visit coming up to Ohio State. Made one in the Fall to Marquette. Kansas is all over him. He’s a big time prospect.

7 Likes

Carson knows Kendall well. Their AAU teams had some serious battles over the years.

6 Likes

Great update HGN! Again, My basketball season is extended well into summer now. Love the competitive aspect of recruiting and really looking forward to April as opposed to years past.

So I like @Hoosthechamp mindset of being cautiously optimistic. We have lots of good reasons for optimism. However, we landed a killer class for 2020, so as others on this forum have stated, any top notch talent we add is going to be icing on the cake. Give me one top 50 recruit and I will call 2021 a complete success.

Imagine the possibilities that await. We have already establish that we have the best, most consistent defensive program in the country, add a little more offensive talent to that concoction and its a deadly mixture.

4 Likes

Great article to start thread. Within 12 hours…gotta add Kendall Brown to it. Shows how difficult it is to see into staff’s recruiting process. Glad to see another big time offer. We have a top recruiting class coming in next year, if we can get two years of recruits coming in, Virginia will be on a roll that may continue year after year thereafter. And if we get top recruits every year, I see Virginia as a big time national championship contender every year with Coach Bennett’s tactical skills. Fingers crossed.

3 Likes

The new offer seems pretty consistent with the “aim high or find late” strategy HGN outlined for that guard spot.

2 Likes

https://stockrisers.com/2020/02/05/top-50-junior-kowacie-reeves-jr-talks-recruitment-the-chase-for-a-state-title/

2 Likes

Never stops!! I’m excited to have some recruiting uncertainty again. Things had gotten a little boring. :laughing:

3 Likes

I don’t know uncertainty has turned into disappointment recently.

1 Like

What are you referring to?

He means going back to '18 I assume. Too much then. Been a while since we’ve had a normal recruiting cycle. '17 was nothing, they barely bothered to try with one impossible scholarship to fill. So '18 got an early start and was just a nightmare. Then '19 and '20 went so smooth as to be boring, at least the early stuff. Obviously there was plenty of late cycle drama last Spring.

1 Like

So this year you consider it to be a bit more exciting than previous years. Based on your description there seems to be lots more suspense out there…

Well I’ll just stick with uncertainty at this point lol They’re more conservative in the early going now than in the past, so hard to call it suspenseful.

2 Likes

This is a little interesting. From today’s Corey Evans Q &A with fans column on Rivals. Apparently they expect Khristian Lander to move up into 2020. Louisville Indiana Michigan Memphis possible landing spots. Of course, Bennett was just up there to see him over the weekend.

3 Likes

HGN did you say guys like Trevor Keels is not worried about playing competition. A thought I was trying tu get you tu realize just a few weeks ago. Did my post change your mind? JUST HAVING FUN!

2 Likes

Nothing super interesting here other than Holmes saying he probably won’t be reclassifying.

https://stockrisers.com/2020/02/06/four-star-junior-daron-holmes-talks-his-recruitment/

3 Likes

Efton Reid’s game is being streamed. Girls are just wrapping up, boys are scheduled for a 7pm start. Steward at Nansemond-Suffolk

1 Like

@Benrekosh put his talent to work again. IG Joe @JoeBoxley has been feeding him ideas. :laughing: Awesome work! Recruits love this stuff.

12 Likes

@Benrekosh , That is great work
You should post that on all the social networks

4 Likes