Summer Recruiting

LOL no. But Also why not

4 Likes

*nearly 7 footer.

Doesn’t change the fact that the guy is taller and bigger than anyone on the floor out there but still can’t get to the rim.

1 Like

Funny cause he looks like a lefty to me somehow. First couple highlights I saw some John Crotty in him

1 Like

Looks like we are going to have to fight off the entire B1G for Jamie lol. Fits in line with his dad’s quote of “The B1G could be your money maker.”

1 Like

I would play him there because he fits our pace. To be honest- speedy point guards like Reece and even Kihei, so far do okay in our system, but a big combo guard who can pass, handle and shoot but may not be super athletic we actually do WELL with. Malcom and Ty were phenomenal. TJ would be more like Ty, and maybe can be sculpted into a. Point guard. At 6’7 could be a Ryan Andersen on Memphis type of player.

2 Likes

He’s 6’8/6’9 and a stretch 4. A play making stretch 4 sure could be a good passer from the perimeter in a 5 out set but he’s not a pg.

7 Likes

Iowa 247 mod says 247 updated rankings for 2023 come out tomorrow and TJ Power is taking a bigtime leap. To be fair though hes like what 130 or 140 whereas rivals and ESPN already have him top 70.

Will be interesting to see where Dilione and Kaiser end up. Doubt Buchanan makes any moves since no one goes to Underarmour games (although Eric Bossi has seen him play and said he is better thab Braedon Huff, a Gonzaga '22 commit). Also Buchanan’s ranking is irrelevant since Tony has seen him multiple times, has been stealth recruiting him, and likes him a lot.

9 Likes

A “playmaking forward”? What does that mean in our system? More passing, more shooting, more taking guys off of the dribble to make plays?…

Sounds like a point guard to me.

Is he a Braxton Key type of playmaker and has his skills defensively and rebounding in the post as a forward? No? Then maybe with TJ’s skills he could play on the perimeter.

In the 5 out, the center plays pg sometimes

Time stamped

We’ll see a taste of this with BVP this year. Great passer (although handles are nowhere near as good).

I mean he could play on the perimeter and maybe even initiate the offense once we get into blocker/mover in the halfcourt. Secondary ball handler in a way we saw from Dre and Braxton and will probably see from BVP this year.

But any coach good enough to get an ACC job would hound him all game long as he tried to bring the ball up the court. Unless he could handle well enough to deal with that there is no way he could be the actual PG.

2 Likes

If BVP is in the game it’s a center or PF guarding him… are they really gonna D him
Up full court?

Not sure that is super relevant to the discussion of Power being a future PG for us.

But no probably not the first couple of times. Any decent coach would adjust at a TV timeout though. Given we take 10 seconds to set up the offense almost every possession there’s no reason they couldn’t put a guard on BVP while he brought the ball up the court then switch a bigger guy onto him as we pass around the perimeter in the halfcourt.

New 247 rankings up.

UVA offers

Peja’s Son: 25
Taison Chatman: 27
Milan Momcilovic: 37
TJ Power: 56 (up 65 spots)
Freddie Dilione: 75 (up 67 spots)
Jamie Kaiser: 78 (debut)
Blake Buchanan: 109 (up 45 spots)
Cam Christie: 112

Other:
Tafara Gapare: 47 (debut)
Elijah Gertrude: 141 (debut)
Carey Booth: 69
Edgerrin James Jr (not jizzle): 70
Al Amadou: 93
Reed Sheppard: 29 (future portal addition)

14 Likes

Big leap here

Edit: my bad, @Hooandtrue was on it

7 Likes

LMAO don’t apologize. Also you posted a direct link which is also good.

2 Likes

Lol the real question is whether we will ever get a commit again

• Will we?
  • No
0 voters

I see what you did there. :eyes: :eyes: :eyes:

1 Like

If Tafara truly isn’t an option for us, it will be interesting to see if staff can identify another Mamadi-type big that can reclass from 2023 to 2022 and redshirt with that last scholly opening, since Buchanan is a 2023to2024 redshirt and our front court would otherwise be looking super thin, even in a small ball mindset.

Al Amadou is someone already on the radar who can do that and adds both much needed athleticism and much needed floor spacing capability along with defensive versatility. Hopefully there are others on the radar as well.

3 Likes

DeMary 118. Jaydon Young NR unless I missed him