Syracuse game thread

Well that’s probably goodnight. I’m sure TB will point to turnovers, Syracuse 2nd chances, a few lapses in transition D. And he won’t be wrong. But this mostly boils down to them having confident playmakers that create and make shots occasionally, where our side lacks that.

2 Likes

Where’s that been?

A couple scores. If they can string together a couple stops, there’s life. Cuse has gotten into a decent groove though.

and there’s the final nail

This season has been a major yikes all round

Woof this is bad. A young team taking lumps

1 Like

HoozGotNext can you cheer me up with some of UVA’s recruiting

2 Likes

They have playmakers, we don’t.

There’s x’s and o’s and then there’s joes on joes. It’s becoming more and more evident that the joes are at least as important as the xs and os. Cuse had a bunch of guys who shot with confidence and were not afraid. Hoos players look like they want to play perfect and are afraid of mistakes. Sometimes you gotta let it fly. That doesnt mean you are abandoning the offense or culture.

5 Likes

Well help’s on the way. But we need some of the young guys on this roster to establish themselves. Long way to go. Feels like there’s some tearing down to build back up going on right now.

3 Likes

We can still win the CBI tournament guys don’t give up

It won’t get much attention because of everything else and he was far from perfect himself, but Jay Huff has 8 offensive rebounds today. Anybody wanna dare to try to find out if that’s happened in the TB era?

1 Like

Jay battled all day. And had some great put backs etc. The rotation was puzzling today and again the 3 pt shooting the same. Tough to watch but we all do and should

4 Likes

Taking advantage of a zone D and a small lineup.

Well I don’t know that Syracuse played that small but yeah it’s mostly about the zone. Still Huff brought it today. That’s what they’re looking for from him, just more energy.

3 Likes

CTB is limited right now with lineups. Casey is broken. Kody, despite his reputation, seems much more comfortable driving the ball than as a spot up shooter. Tomas struggles on defense with his lateral quickness and doesn’t have a great handle. All that being said, the guys are better than they have shown. As much as we take solace in being national champions, it has to carry weight for the guys. That weight has effected things above the neck. It will get better, but until it does, it could get worse (if that makes sense).

1 Like

True he was scrappy today and I loved the emotion hes the type of player that when hes on edge i like it. Reminds me of myself

1 Like

The flat footed offense is painful. They spend more time passing without screens or running routes. I recognize that we got gutted out of sequence losing the 3 last season, but the new kids need to watch the tapes of Kyle flying around and jack setting screeens.

1 Like

Actually amazed that defense remains so stout despite our poor recruiting from 2017-18. Good to see Huff really taking off. Woldetensae improving. But real question whether we make tournament now with our tougher ACC games coming up as offense is so so bad. Need more offensive players (glad 3 such players coming next year) and maybe some creative offensive coaching.

I think this year is showing the extreme need in the modern game for knock down shooting ability. The Cuse zone is always going to exacerbate this, but the fact is at the guard spots you have to have guys who can hit outside shots at a 33% clip, especially when left open.

It is not news that the Hoos don’t have any semblance of that this year. Tomas shows flickers of it, but still feel like he’s adjusting to the D1 speed and defense, limiting his legs on O. Kody has shown nice driving ability in spurts, but he does not have a quick release and is not a great shooter. Kihei has shown ability but due to size, needs space. We are all aware of Casey’s current struggles.

I think today it would have been great if, with continual pace, we attacked downhill from the high post with Braxton, Casey or other guards. Short flashes with MD and Huff with quick decisions. The deliberation is killer in the zone and allows the d to settle…

Everyone is doom and gloom, but the reality is we are not winning the acc or getting a top 3 seed. If the margin for losing plays flips, we can still pick up wins versus the FSUs or Lvilles of the world, and battle for a 5-7 seed. Be a dangerous tourney out.

Next year is the relaunch…

6 Likes