Syracuse game thread

Well at least UNC also lost at home again in overtime. Makes me feel a bit better.

2 Likes

Bennett has tried everything… you can’t put any blame on him. Maybe we should try to speed up pace a little bit.

1 Like

yep. you saw Kehei trying. but always pulled up short which I get

1 Like

@Uvajay2 knew! :mechanical_arm:

3 Likes

Kehei has too much on him. He had to be exhausted today and his shots down the stretch showed it. Help is coming but we need to find someone to step up now

2 Likes

Poor guy. He doesn’t get a break.

2 Likes

Bennett’s post game

Players

1 Like

Huff’s stat line is misleading. Felt like he left a lot of points out there between the free throws and missed layups. Slow decision-making out of the post and missed a lot of wide open guys for kick outs when he dribbles into 3 guys. Got beat a handful of times for 50-50 balls against smaller guys too.

What isn’t misleading is how good Key is floating in the 15 ft range. He’s the best decision maker at the elbows and short corners and it’s not close. Thought we could have gone to him a bit more there with huff and MD low to beat the zone.

It is what it is. We’re watching a lot of learning happen. Hopefully it will be worth something when we get to the postseason and can be on the other end of some underdog upsets!

6 Likes

Not really sure what else I can say that hasnt been said. My biggest fear with the current team is the wavering confidence innthe players. The player varies from game to game but Stamman was bit by it today he was gun shy. But his olay did not determine the game.

I feel like this is a team of a complimentary parts but lacking the leader who goes out gets shots and makes big buckets. Some guys are trying hard to fill that void but deep down it’s just not who they are right now.

Last thought this season is really making me realize how special last year and the group was. A special moment in time never to be duplicated and never forgotten.

4 Likes

I was hopeful after the VT game they had turned the corner. But there’s going to be ups and downs, and the lows are very low. A trip to FSU coming up probably means it’ll get worse. That’s not a team you can play tentatively against.

The discouraging part, at least for me, is this team hasn’t really taken on the usual Bennett identity. Other than that one game against VT, we haven’t seen them play to the formula. 1) force contested shots 2) Finish possessions with a defensive rebound 3) Value the basketball 4) Eliminate opponent’s transition. At least one of those areas, usually more, have been sub-par in every other game.

We’ve seen some offensively challenged teams under Tony, especially the early years. That’s not new. But I can’t remember one that by this point in the year was so undependable with the “non-negotiables”

6 Likes

Man this was rough. Loved to see Jay energetic and more aggressive, but those free throws… if just one goes in (or if the stupid lane violation never happened), that game ends very closely in regulation. Kody a complete no show after 2 really good games.

ACC play is still early but will shake out to be an interesting year… Georgia Tech blew out BC at BC by almost 20 pts.

I can’t say I’m necessarily looking forward to Wednesday at FSU, but you can bet I’ll continue watching every minute of every game this season.

On a positive note, Dan Dakich was more tolerable to listen to than usual (besides comparing Huff to AD, lol)

4 Likes

Most offensive rebounds by a Virginia player since at least 2010, as far back as sports reference gamelogs go.

6 Likes

Dang. Good work @robrob. School record is 10, tied several times most recently by Mike Scott vs VMI in '08. Offensive rebounds weren’t kept prior to '86-87, so Sampson not included.

3 Likes

Loved to see Jay get more confident. He needs to work on free throws or this will become a Hack-A-Shaq senario. Also, our team waits until the last ten seconds of the shot clock to get something done which doesn’t help when your three point percentage is one of the worst in D-1 this year. Some call this play “slow-paced” I think it is forcing the idea of playing slow. To truly be effective playing slow, you work the ball around looking for gaps in the defense (especially playing against a zone), and the three point shooters have to be good in case we can’t penetrate. We don’t do either, resulting in bad shot selections and many, many missed shots.

2 Likes