The Elliott Era begins

Mike Lewis
@Mikeysurf

Two weeks ago, Tujague had 8 returning scholarship OLs. Rising redshirt freshman Hugh Laughlin was 9, re-slotted from DE to OT. Next, G’town transfer Mac Hollensteiner committed, followed by 4 HS commits & Snoop Amaama tonight. OL room is now at 15!

10 Likes

Hadn’t seen that Laughlin was switching back to offense. That’s pretty exciting as most programs wanted him there out of high school!

3 Likes

Boom!

Problem: solved.

Sounds like he bagged another

Kind of cool little video. Elliott was on hand to lock him down:

Also it sounds like maybe another? If we start taking up too much of the roster with young OL somebody may need to forcibly restrain 2J from flying around the country to get even more commits. Although maybe this is a grad transfer:

8 Likes

Now let’s do it for defensive backs.

9 Likes

TE with the lean in and eyes. Also immediately goes into coaching/ teaching mode. Love it

9 Likes

What is Coach saying to him? I can’t make it out.

Initially that the margaritas at Chilis are better

He goes in talking about how he needs to come in ready on and off the field. Show those boys (linemen I assume) how we put the work in. “you could be the head coach at Virginia one day”

Was all very cool

4 Likes

I think Snoop’s been a heavy lean for a long time.

We’re not last in the ACC recruiting rankings anymore! 11th baby!

3 Likes

It’s raining [offensiveline]men

5 Likes

Wow. I think the OL is good at this point.

Um, can they aim that at DBs and DL now?

3 Likes

Yea, we really need some DBs bad. I’m not complaining. This guy will get it done.

1 Like

Not sure we need bodies at DB. Maybe one more. We have plenty of guys that were well regarded as recruits. They just need to actually be taught some technique.

1 Like

Let’s see. Right now we have 3 upper class OLs, only one with actual game experience. 2 grad transfers with FCS experience. 5 rising redshirt freshmen, three of whom were on the two deep last year. 6 incoming freshmen. I’m guessing that all 11 of next year’s freshman don’t make it to the 23 season. Maybe 5 will exhaust their eligibility here. Hell, maybe Teeter or Devine don’t even make it into the summer depending on how Spring practice goes.

2 Likes

Yeah, my read from others’ comment elsewhere was that while our defense was a complete team effort disaster, the cupboard isn’t bare at DB or linebacker and it’s really the D-line where we needed some additions. Kind of hard to wrap one’s mind around the fact that we might have some decent DBs and they somehow couldn’t beat out the guys we played last year or put up the performances they did in the limited time they did play, but that seems to be the general feeling.

4 Likes

I’m not even sure the DL is in bad shape anymore. You have J Carter, Agunloye and Smiley coming back with experience. B Carter was highly rated. Diatta, Terry and Bond came in last year too. Plus 2 grad transfers. And Faumui hasn’t left yet either.

That’s 10 guys to play 3 spots. There’s enough bodies. We’ll see how good they are I guess.

2 Likes

Think a few on the 2021’s played more than 4 games (Josey and Taylor at least) so will be sophomores but otherwise agree with your post!

1 Like

Taylor played in 2 games, Josey in 1 and Furnish in 3. https://static.virginiasports.com//custompages/sports/m-footbl/stats/2021-2022/seasonstats.pdf (pages 18-19).

1 Like

Well obviously I haven’t kept up with it like I used too but why the hell didn’t we see some of those DBs last year? It couldn’t have been any worse. Still makes me feel a little better about the future with these guys and what appears to be a great group of coaches

4 Likes