The Elliott Era begins

Gaither with help from Drew Meyer!

2 Likes
2 Likes

Roger that appreciate the feedback

Encouraging read. Obviously will need to actually take advantage of these early first impressions in state, but just making those impressions is a great start:

https://dailyprogress.com/sports/uva-is-about-to-do-a-lot-of-winning-tony-elliott-making-a-strong-first/article_2ae210e6-7d77-11ec-8a94-0ff6be39b809.html

12 Likes

Virginia high school coaches sure antagonize UVA and VT a lot for wanting all FBS prospects to stay in state….

2 Likes

Quick Question- Mickens said he’s probably got 10 to 12 future FBS players at Trinity now. Salem dispatches prospects onto colleges annually.

What does “FBS” stand for?

“Football Bowl Series” rather than “FCS” (Football Championship Series), which is like UVA vs JMU.

3 Likes

Or as they put it in the old days.

FBS = 1A
FCS = 1AA

4 Likes

Ah okay so his school has alot of top 8 College talent each year. :eyes:

2 Likes

The 2022 O-line recruits keep rolling in. This kid decommited from a preferred walk-on spot to come to UVA. Sounds like he lacks offers due to his size, but supposedly is fairly skilled. Will likely have to play center unless he has a growth spurt (at least that’s what people who know more about football than me seem to be implying elsewhere):

2 Likes

Building the lines, smart move by a savvy football man. You’ll never go wrong investing in linemen.

5 Likes

This is something Bronco understood really well too

2 Likes

I’d argue yes and no. He did well with building the offensive line, but then never used them. I’d say he did not invest in the Dline at least not in the final 2-3 yrs

3 Likes

That’s impressive. They just landed almost an entire OL class in basically a long weekend.

4 Likes

Problem was not backfilling for attrition and missed evaluations. DL was up there for our best recruiting position under the old staff but then Briggs left and guys like Smiley haven’t panned out yet.

2 Likes

A lot of them are projects, so we should manage our expectations in terms of real playing time. But we definitely needed some bodies to build potential depth, so hopefully some of these guys pan out.

4 Likes

For sure. I see this group of guys as pieces. If one pans out and is a contributing starter great. But more importantly hopefully they’ll have a group of guys who can step in for spot duty.

3 Likes

On the recruiting trail, it kind of feels like there were three tasks facing the staff when they came in (setting aside convincing BA to stay):

1: Fill out the 2022 class with warm bodies to prevent major imbalances down the line and potentially snag a few diamonds in the rough
2: Recruit transfers on the OL and DL to add playable depth for next year
3: Recruit a more talented 2023 class to kick off new era

I think after this weekend we can say they are doing a great job on 1 so far. They’ve also made a solid start on 2, although there’s probably still more to be done there. But guys are going to be entering the portal for several months still and we’ve got plenty of time to keep finding good fits.

Task 3 will be our first chance to really evaluate the recruiting talent of this coaching staff, but it’ll be a while before we’re able to see how that plays out. They are clearly trying hard to lay the groundwork for it by traveling to every high school in VA and DC they can find on Google maps. Hopefully that will be a success too.

9 Likes

Make it 5 OL in the 2022 class now:

7 Likes

six OL commits in a week for [#UVA]

3 Likes