The Elliott Era begins

rumor has it he got a $4 Million deal for Texas. Haven’t verified that, but you’d think he could afford a better edit, anyway…

1 Like

I agree, barring a terrible draft analysis or pro day I’d bank on BA taking his talents to the NFL next season.

3 Likes

Best to go pro then, with the way the offensive line is leaving he would get hurt lowering his draft stock

2 Likes

I don’t see him ranked all that high in QB rankings for the next draft. Maybe 10th at best.

QB draft rankings are pretty fluid. Spencer Rattler was consensus #1 overall pick preseason, and Kenny Pickett wasn’t sniffing the first round.

2 Likes

I think it’s not so much where he’s projected as it is potentially a Kyle Guy type situation. As in, “I balled out this year and did about as well as I could possibly do. The chance I come back and do better seems low, so even if I’m not necessarily immediately obvious pro material, this is the time to go when my stock is at it’s all-time high.” Add to that that next we are transitioning to a new offensive system under a new coach and he’s losing some of his OL, I can see the argument.

That said, if he came back, the potential for an amazing additional season is definitely there. Maybe he could Kenny Pickett his way up the boards. Also, I think the argument for being in college an additional year and just having a great quality of life and a ton of fun is often under-talked about in these situations as well. We’ll just have to see.

4 Likes

I think draft feedback might matter more here than it did for Kyle. Yes, he’s unlikely to have better stats next year. But he also might get feedback that NFL front offices don’t really believe the stats because of the system and so he might be a late late late pick at best. I can see a scenario where coming back and having a “good” season (ie efficient if not so impressive on total stats) in a more normal offensive system could improve his stock to the point where he’s reasonably assured of sticking for a while.

He’s definitely gone though.

6 Likes

The situations aren’t really comparable at all. Kyle Guy came out after winning a national title and had very little path to improving his draft stock for a team that was going to be worse. Brennan is coming off a 6-6 season but is also playing for a new coach. He also can improve his stock like Kenny Pickett and is looking at a VERY juicy schedule if we can keep some guys and snag some others.

I still think he’s gone but the Guy analogy is lazy

1 Like

Tend to agree that, setting aside injury risk, he’s got a lot to gain from another season. Though I think he loses some key OL pieces, so that might be a factor.

1 Like

Guy also had the G League as a solid alternative for improving his game. Brennan has no similar alternative.

6 Likes

I’d disagree, it’s similar in the sense BA is coming off a high point and a situation that likely cannot be duplicated. Where I agree is BA has a lot more working against than him than Kyle did. New coach, new system, new coordinators, new weapons, new line. That’s a lot of new to contend with, without the chance to have a learning curve. Kyle could have come back to a team that was very similar to the one he left (minus Ty and Dre) and the system that made him a college stud. In some ways I think Kyle had a better situation than BA.

That said I’ve said it since Week 10 that BA should go pro there’s more downside IMO to staying. When QB’s come back for that extra year they get scrutinized and picked to death on their performance. And if he can’t duplicate the magic of last year it raises more questions than answers them.

4 Likes

https://twitter.com/uvamenshoops/status/1470775152778567681?s=21

14 Likes

Kyle was more or less a finished college prospect by the end of his 3rd year. There were things he could improve on to be more of an NBA asset, but those weren’t going to be things he could do here. He was and still is a 6’2” 165 lb shooting guard without the ball handling, court vision and defensive quickness to play PG full time. He was a late 2nd/UDFA in 19 and would’ve been the same in 20. Not much to gain or lose except for a year of a playing career vs finishing his degree on time (since he can finish it up later anytime he wants if it’s important to him).

Brennan could gain a lot or lose a lot. If he’s got a 4th/5th round grade, he could show enough next year and pull a Pickett. This is a weak QB class, so Pickett is likely a 2nd rounder most years. The 23 class will be headlined by Young and Stroud. Rattler could redeem himself, DJU could figure things out. The guy at Florida has all the tools, maybe the new coach can help him show it. And then there’s guys coming back who are around the Armstrong class, Jurkovic, Hooker, Cunningham, Gabriel, Slovis, Nix.

The signing bonus money for rounds 4-7 aren’t life changing or anything, but they’re a good start to a career. 100-200k range. But falling from the 4th to 7th round wouldn’t be a huge financial change. A UDFA signing bonus is like 5-10k, which barely covers moving expenses. The 4th rounder will be given more chances to make the roster and make actual salary and more likely to be picked up off waivers if he doesn’t make the roster. Plus he’d get to his contract extension a year sooner, if he plays well enough to earn one.

If he can work up to the 2nd-3rd round, the bonus gets exponentially larger and you’re almost sure to make the roster.

So leaving now: probably get picked, maybe early 3rd day. Have to really earn a roster spot. More teams are keeping extra QBs cause of Covid.

Staying another year: could improve draft stock or could play himself out of draft under a new offensive system. Could get injured or even if not, will take more hits taking a toll on his body without getting paid for it. Getting a start on a grad degree that I doubt he ever uses. Deeper QB class next year and Covid protocols might not be in place so teams carry fewer QBs on their rosters.

I mean after typing all that out, I don’t see any reason I’d stay if I was a 4th-5th. If I were graded 6th-7th-UDFA, I’d probably stay cause there’s less to lose.

3 Likes

Orange alert. And does his white board say Taine in starting lineup?

5 Likes

Lol you had me zooming

8 Likes

I can’t make it out, but I’m guessing the answer is no.

1 Like

yes sir - Tony is looking good in that orange!

1 Like

I agree. I think BA could use another year of polishing. But I think the risk of staying at UVa another year is greater than going pro and being a lower draft pic. Esp because I don’t think he will have a big enough year to really make him a 1st or 2nd round pick

1 Like

it’s not unreasonable, though. Assuming he’s throwing to Wicks, Davis, Kemp (and then also Fields, maybe Starling… hopefully a TE from the portal again?), and maybe a little more attention and a bump from playing for Coach Elliott (playing up the whole “he brought along Deshaun Watson, Trevor Lawrence” angle?). if he duplicates his numbers in something that is considered less of a air raid type offense, and maybe cuts 4-5 picks, that could be substantial for draft status.

that’s my hope anyways, irrational or not.

Damn, @DFresh11 - you beat me to it!!

2 Likes