The Elliott Era begins

Yeah, I worked in Atlanta for 6 months a while back and had some good friends in town show me around. Great, great city. People underestimate how big Atlanta is because its hard to really grasp the sprawl. If you just go by pure city population its like 37th, close to Sacramento and Kansas City. But if you go by metro area its #8 between Philly and Miami.

Someone once made the comparison that NC is like Georgia if you took Atlanta, broke it up into pieces, and then sprinkled it around the state.

2 Likes

Someone just needs to transfer the knowledge of trains, streetcars, subways, etc south.

2 Likes

It’s all here. Atl MARTA is light years ahead of DC’s Metro in terms of reach capacity etc.

@ElliottHoo that’s a good comparison for NC.

1 Like

Atl certainly has some infrastructure. Nashville and the triangle much less so. If you can believe it, there is no rail linkage besides heavy rail (aka amtrak) between Raleigh and Durham. It is <25 miles between the Raleigh and Durham Amtrak stations and they can’t built a good rail transit. There was plans for a light rail system a few years ago but Duke U pulled out at the last minute and essentially cancelled the whole project.

1 Like

NSFW

1 Like

The Triangle is a different animal. Reminds me a bit of NOVA, it’s a region that was traditionally separated but due to sprawl has become one massive place. Lot of good athletics in that region though and with new people comes new money which means better schools and resources which just feeds the machine. Thew Charlotte area is experiencing that currently.

2 Likes

Ohhh d@mn I needed that laugh. Also local rappers are terrible. It doesn’t matter what city you’re from 99% of all local rappers will not make it and they are terrible. For every OutKast, TI, Luda, Migos, there are 30000 mil you ride the MARTA bus folks reppin.

1 Like

Now I wanna ride the Marta Bus yo

2 Likes

You ain’t riding the MARTA next time you’re in the ATL. Got to have my boy cruising in style

1 Like

Reminds me of something I saw a while back that said no matter bad it gets, remember, there’s someone you went to high school with who is still trying to make it as a rapper.

9 Likes

I have no idea if this is true, but I would guess hosting the Olympics contributed to the need to invest in public transit and other infrastructure.

I remember some big criticism of the new baseball stadium was that it intentionally was built where there was no public transportation, presumably to…umm…lighten the median skin tone in the stands, which would go along with the reason the former owner of the Hawks was forced to sell the team.

3 Likes

Just cause is football thread wanted to share the Nova Legends Podcast run by my guy Julian Brown

You NOVA folks will know lotta the names and stories @Gna2r among others

3 Likes

That’s exactly what happened Olympics put a lot of infrastructure in place.

Braves has always played in or just out of downtown but they purposely moved the park to Cobb county 30 mins outside the city to entice a different demographic. Also why despite love visiting ballparks I’ve never been to fhe new stadium.

2 Likes

He always seems to conveniently choose these lists that always don’t have BA

2 Likes

The reverse Danny Neckel

7 Likes

He came out with an ACC QB tiers list today and had BA in Tier 2.

Was based 75% on prior results and 25% on potential for 2022 results.

Somehow Miami’s soph QB Van Dyke is Tier 1 though?

2 Likes

Honestly think the majority reason is that van dyke’s second half of the year was really good, vs Armstrong mainly did his damage in the first half of the year (injury). Bigger change in perception if you’re hitting your stride as the season wraps up

They actually did some crazy analytics at the time and showed where ticket purchasers actually lived, so then moved the ballpark to be closer to their actual ticket base.

https://www.alexanderbabbage.com/atlanta-braves/

2 Likes

Van Dyke did have a really good year, but the guy also had Hartman in Tier 2. The QB talent in the ACC is ridiculous these days.

2 Likes

A common scouting criticism of Armstrong that I’ve heard a lot is that he throws too many picks, not in a trying to make a play way, but in a not seeing or sensing a defender should be there sort of way.

1 Like