The Elliott Era begins

Nick Jackson will have to be a heck of a lot better player this year to earn any all ACC nod.

4 Likes

Nick Jackson will make some all-ACC team due to sheer number of tackles.

5 Likes

Looks like another O-line transfer? This one from Lehigh. Appears we offered him out of high school. He also held P5 offers from Duke, NCST, UNC, and VT per 247. Was class of 2021, so presumably has a good chunk of eligibility left.

Also sounds like maybe the Georgetown O-line transfer we got earlier this year might not actually be coming, at least according to other message board postings I’ve seen. So makes sense we’d look for more help. Plus, we probably needed more help even before that was the case. Let’s hope our patchwork line gels quickly.

4 Likes

Pretty sure this is 2024 basketball target Jarin Stevenson’s cousin.

8 Likes

https://atozsports.com/nashville/texas-georgia-recruiting-vols-virginia-arch-manning/?fs=e&s=cl

12 Likes

Come thru Manning.

2 Likes

tommy chong weed GIF by Paramount Movies

4 Likes

We got a transfer punter from Minnesota! So that’s fun.

4 Likes

Did he bring Dr. Pepper?

5 Likes

Stewart Mandel’s ranking of college football programs, based on mediaval(ish) hierarchy.** Pay article ($$)

Spoiler alert: we have been demoted from “Knight” to “Peasant” (lowest 17 of 66 power conference teams) because: “Virginia hasn’t been nationally relevant since the early 1990s”. I’d argue we were pretty nationally relevant in the mid-late 90s, too, but when you haven’t been nationally relevant for 25+ years, folks tend to mix up the details.

** If he really wanted to make this reflective of a medieval hierarchy, there’d be a king, maybe two, 4 or 5 nobles, and then peasants. Which, tbh, is probably more reflective of the current state of play in college football.

6 Likes

Interesting I’d give the hoos a touch more credit and say they were relevant from 89-98. But you’re right the highs of rhe Groh London and Bronco eras were molehills in a national sense.

Currently college football has A king 4-6 nobles with treacherous intentions. 5-10 wealthy land owners/dignitaries 2 greedy churches and 99 peasants

6 Likes

Yeah, I have the same time period in mind. I just can’t count to 25 correctly. I think there is an argument that we were “nationally relevant” in the Groh heyday, but it felt pretty fleeting, if so…

2 Likes

I wanted to include 01-03 with Groh but I’m not sure if the team was actually nationally relevant. No conference title. And best finish was in the 20s i think. I dont remember a bowl game during that run except the mpc computer bowl i Idaho. They went to the Gator in 08 and I’m sure they made the Uva obligatory Peach Bowl apperence.

I remember that time for a ton of talent but few results

1 Like

yep, my biggest qualm would be GT being a tier higher than us. I guess they were more consistent in that one stretch under Paul Johnson (think they beat Mississippi State in an Orange Bowl once? or maybe they lost that one?)… but i don’t see how they are more relevant than us. i guess the rationale is basically “Atlanta”?

2 Likes

Two belk bowl wins. And several inseason top 25 appearances. Is that nationally relevant? Perhaps.

1 Like

I’d listen to the argument. I lean to the side of caution not wanting to see it through a fans eyes. Like if i was a football fan in Indiana would i remember 1 thing snout uva at that time.

1 Like

Groh always had plenty of talent on his teams. I believe most of his teams under achieved during his time

1 Like

Agree at one point around 06 or 07 the schools who sent the most talent to the nfl over the previous decade were usc ou and Grohs Uva program. When your talent ranks next to those programs at that time and you barely crack a top 25 there’s issues.

1 Like

All I remember is when he burned Lalich’s redshirt for no reason… he made some excuse for it, but it made no sense.

1 Like

Well in fairness, Lalich wasn’t ever gonna save us. One of the only dudes whose college career more less ended due to drunken boating I believe.

2 Likes