The Elliott Era begins

3* commits are better than zero commitments if you ask me.

6 Likes

Get out your checkbook or adjust your expectations. We aren’t getting involved in this arms race anymore than we have to and quite frankly we can’t afford what these other schools can.

Hoos haven’t been in the arms race since 89. Granted that NIL deal in the tweet is not real. But overall Virginia and about 100 of the 120ish D1 programs are completely ill equipped to go toe-to-toe in a true free-market arms race.

2 Likes

Bronco had some winners in that first class with Dubois, Bryce Hall and Joe Reed

Withholding judgment until we see outcomes, but at best, TE’s early results are similar to Bronco’s (in terms of stars, etc). Currently 13th out of 14 in the ACC.

Can only state the “Good signing - that’s the depth we need” type praise for so long until you start realizing that the guy with no other P5 offers may be the actual starter…

5 Likes
8 Likes

Best offer was AF, Army, Richmond. Smh

No one we would have hired would have changed the reality of what we have to offer. Part of the benefit of hiring these positional coaches with service academy backgrounds is their expertise in developing talent and working with limited resources and inherent restrictions, yet putting out a much better and consistent product than UVA football the past few years. That helps given it will take time for facilities to be built and for high level recruits to trust Coach Elliot as the head coach at UVA.

Akin to Tony Bennett’s first few years (in honesty every year outside 2016, 2022, and Reece/Kadin) recruiting wise. We are rebuilding relationships in the state.

10 Likes

And now we have Chris Slade

2 Likes

Not sure what people were expecting a first yr first time coach to recruit to a program that hasn’t done anything of substance in 20 years. Year 4 or 5 and still raiding the 2 star yr we have a problem.

12 Likes

I expected a bump from stealing an asst coach from mighty Clemson. Perhaps he wasnt as sought after as many thought.

Jesus. Aren’t you just a ball of sunshine.

1 Like

he turned down tennessee last year. confirmed by their mod. auburn was looking at him too but not sure they offered.

4 Likes

5 stars arent jumping ship for an unproven HC. Esp one taking on a program with no assets amd no pedigree

9 Likes

I’m not naive to think we would be busting down the doors recruiting - the program is the program.

But I’m also not giving TE anything higher than a C so far which was my original point.

2 Likes

Seems like giving TE a C at this point would be like getting a C for the first week of the first semester of Freshman year.

11 Likes

For whatever reason my brain thought this was talking about an acronym for TE (ala CTB)….don’t think throwing a C in front would really play for a football coach

3 Likes

I guess I’m wondering why we’re taking 3 stars like this so early.

People need to chill out. It was barely six months ago that we were blindsided with the Bronco news. Our staff wasn’t set into stone until about a month later. First the new staff had to spend time recruiting current players to stay, then had to re-recruit our current commits, and were finally able to focus on '23 recruiting. Many of the players in this cycle have been recruited by schools for three years, not the three months that our staff had. Is it somewhat disappointing that we didn’t get a small recruiting bump due to simply having a new HC? Of course, but we can’t expect a top 30 class to fall into our laps after a few months of recruiting. The class of '24 will be a much better indicator of the type of recruits we can reasonably expect, especially with the new ops building which will be well underway by then.

16 Likes

In 03 or 04 we were top 5 facing a top 5 FSU or Miami. That was the last nationally relevant game we were involved in.

I don’t remember more than a handful of 2 stars under Bronco, at least by the 247 ratings. We probably had as many 4 stars as we did 2 stars. We just need to move from low/mid 3 star averages to mid/high 3 star averages. If we can consistently recruit the level of the 19 class, we’re in good shape.

5 Likes

ACC released their plan for ending divisions and schedules for the next few seasons:

I’m not deep enough in the weeds to have much analysis, but the choice of three primary opponents for UVA seems fine?

6 Likes