The JWILLY Show: 3/2/23

3 Likes

What is the current confidence level you see within the team?

How many extra free throws are taken with the lower made percentage are taken after every practice?

Is there an internal deadline for players to inform staff about their intended availability for next season (i.e. Armaan Franklin)?

2 Likes

JWilly- The old adage of “freshmen become sophomores by the end of their first year” is very apt and at this point of the season you see how mature iMac and Ryan Dunn are becoming. Do you think it’s important to get high potential players as much playing time as soon as possible, and as quickly as possible so that you can see the fruits of their labor sooner?

2 Likes

How much do you and the coaching staff look at lineup-based metrics in determining which players pair best on the court?

2 Likes

Have to ask the Shedrick question? What has changed between beginning when he was starting to now when Papi comes off the bench before him (or he plays zero mins)? He won’t give a good answer, but have to ask

Also, think we should ask a question on the +/- of the BVP/Gardner line-up vs. Dunn or Shed plus BVP or Gardner line-ups. (one of the +/- gurus can share the right stats with JWilly). Given the difference, why do we play BVP and Gardner together so much.

Is Reece 100%? Has Hammy re-flared up? Looks tentative on offense

Anything about missed FT and lay-ups?

4 Likes

“What, if any, changes are in store to help our shooting woes? Are our problems just one of those things or is it a result of adjustments by opposing coaches to our scheme and players?”

1 Like

You asked this much better than I.

Mine was gonna be - WTF is going on with Shedrick?

2 Likes

Did Clemson lose to us because they wore orange uniforms and we didn’t? I’m still hoping for alternate black uniforms with white and orange trim. Heck, even those ugly old coaches looked great in those black Nike shirts they wore on Tuesday…

2 Likes

Do you have a favorite Terry Holland story?

Was running Mover Blocker against Clemson like reuniting with @DFresh11 after a long offseason?

How many pairs of draws are you packing for Greensboro next week?

5 Likes

Both RD and IMac talked after the Clemson game about how the team felt like they were getting good shots even in the first 5 minutes when nothing was falling. How does the staff judge the quality of shots the team is getting on offense and giving up on defense? Is it feel or do they put numbers on it?

Feel free to cite me as “AQ” since my username is nonsense words.

In the ACCT, would you rather play a team that you lost to (out for revenge), or play a team that you’ve beaten previously, and therefore, know you can beat?

1 Like

Only sign transfers who can shoot?

When a team gets into a period of play that is generally subpar compared to what the team normally plays like, what do you think best works to steer the ship back on track?

What strategies do you utilize when a player is not 100% but still playing to maximize their positive impact to the team whilst maintaining good recovery.

Should we be striving towards a world that creates more super heroes or one where heroes are ultimately never needed?

If Mover Blocker is here to stay for the rest of the season, do we see a more expanded role for Calf-a-row?

3 Likes

Mark Grace on the definition of a “slumpbuster”, after being pressed by host Jim Rome in a now-infamous 2003 interview on the television show “Rome is Burning” to clarify the baseball slang term (this is the “official” word-for-word transcript from the interview)…

“A slumpbuster is if a team’s in a slump, or if you personally are in a slump, you gotta find the fatest, gnarliest, grossest chick and you just gotta lay the wood to her. And when you do that, you’re just gonna have instant success. And it could also be called jumping on a grenade for the team.”

5 Likes

I’m enjoying hearing about this comeback against UNC. In the game I watched, I didn’t see it, but the game they’re describing sounds like it was great.

1 Like

Hilarious right? Down 16 at half and down 16 with 3:20 left. And still down 12 with 45 seconds left.
Lets not pretend we were ever in that game. Unless pretending is fun.

1 Like

Yeah, to be fair, Mark did mention that, too.

J-Willy mentioned we had the ball down 7 and missed a three. That just didn’t happen. We never had the ball down fewer than 9 until garbage time when we made our little mini-run to get it to 6 with about 29 seconds to go, with UNC with the ball.

It’s just something that all of us humans do – we decide how to view a certain event (2H was good! We played better!) and then as the facts fade away in our memory, we replace them with the story we’ve created.

(I’m not trying to beat up J-Willy. J-Willy is a human and I’m a human, and you dear reader, are a human, too.** That’s what makes life fun, and I also think makes breaking down hoops fun, too - it’s played and coached by other humans who are making mistakes that are typical of humans).

** Except of course that large language model that’s reading this 1000 years from now.

1 Like

I don’t see any issue with saying we played much better in the second half. We did! It didn’t make a difference on the scoreboard, that’s also true. Sometimes better play doesn’t get you closer (just like sometimes you’re playing badly and take a lead). So this feels to me like a quibble over word choice (it wasn’t a “comeback”).

4 Likes