The JWILLY Show: 3/2/23

Comeback Momma Said Knock You Out GIF by LL Cool J

6 Likes

Yeah, we were already cooked up and on a platter. Just window dressing.

2 Likes

Also - very rarely does a team that’s up 16 play as hard as they did to get the lead - human nature - especially for 20 something’s. So playing a bubble team to a standstill for a half that wasn’t playing as hard doesn’t move the needle for me.
Especially with another 7 minute no FG drought.
Playing hard means focused determination on offense too … we didn’t have that at all all game.
“People” act like missing shots just happens … I don’t believe that at all … it comes from not efforting enough to get quality shots and not being focused enough while shooting to make those shots.

Rubber band effect (which is especially a thing against a team like UNC that clearly will not play hard unless they absolutely have to)

I view those comments as reflecting that the staff liked the process and effort, and they are pretty consistent in their messaging that they are more process-based vs outcome-based in terms of how they evaluate themselves. For example, IMac and Dunn talked about the Clemson first half in a process-focused way. I think I recall past editions of the team referencing the book Chop Wood, Carry Water, which is all about being process-focused in improvement.

6 Likes

Trust the process…

2 Likes

FWIW, we absolutely did play better in the second half against UNC. It was just more of an even half rather than a “go down by 16” half. It wasn’t, truly, a “catch up by 8” quality of play. It was better, not great.

But, specifically, better about attacking their switches with dribble penetration and then looking for the correct pass from there, and more energy across the board.

10 Likes

The talk about new babies reminded me about this article of a reporter reading all the “new baby” books… hahaha! They all contradict each other!

2 Likes

Okay, this wound up being a great episode.

Fresh showing his first born to 3rd Ave:

the lion king GIF by Walt Disney Records

7 Likes

Hahahha. Was exactly that Haney! 92 and 3rd

4 Likes

JWILLY show coming at 9 tonight. Send in some questions if yall can; that dont have the word Kadin or Shedrick in them

4 Likes

Is Reece and or Armaan returning for next year? Where is the Christian bliss offer? Is anyone scouting players on Notre Dame to scour in the transfer portal?

1 Like

Kan antelopes dine in Nigeria?

3 Likes

Has Tony ever been wrong before?

How much in NIL will a Mamadi clone cost?

2 Likes

Imagine if we had a 6 foot 11 Mamadi clone on the roster

1 Like

…Kadin aint anywhere close to mamadi LOL. But he’s solid when more bought in.

1 Like

I recently went through all of my orange UVA gear (there’s a lot) and realized it makes me look fat. Seeing as how it’s one of two school colors, and I’m a faithful Hoo, of course I still wear it. But is that why you all avoid half of the school colors like the plague?

5 Likes

What’s the real deal with the 6’11 big man on the roster who shall not be named?

4 Likes

Most of the rotation has never played in the NCAA Tournament before this year. How do you prepare them for their first experience in that pressure filled environment? How do Tournament veterans like Kihei and Ben bring along the other guys?

7 Likes

We’ve seen more from Papi the last two games than we’ve seen in a while. Do you like what you’ve been seeing in games and in practice to lead you to think he can handle a more regular role in the postseason, or will it continue to be matchup dependent?

2 Likes