The JWILLY Show: 3/2/23

Interesting to hear Williford say he wished he’d redshirted his first year, he would have preferred to give those 36 minutes back so he could play another year

3 Likes

This is an older wiser Jay Willy than in 1991 haha

4 Likes
  • Was Marky getting Ryan Dunn’s dad on the phone during the show awesome?
  • Yes

0 voters

Another great show, but once again I almost threw my phone when J-Willy said (paraphrasing) “I don’t even know how to calculate plus-minus.”

Cmon, J-Willy! It’s like right there in the name!

“Hey J-Willy: there are some apples on the table. There were 5, and then I added 5. How many are there now?”

“Well, using my eye test, I will guess there are 8 apples on that table. Coincidentally, that’s the same eye test that the staff has used to determine that BVP and Jayden are our best frontcourt combo. Now please throw your AirPods down the street, Haney.”

8 Likes

Lol I had a similar reaction to that remark. It would be one thing if he said, “Yeah, we understand how all those advanced* metrics work, and we’ve evaluated their pros and cons, but in the end we’ve found we have better results relying on the eye test.” Okay, fine, you fully understand the thing that you’re choosing not to do. But I object to: “I don’t know what those things are and don’t care to find out.” I get it Jay, I’m old too, but you’ve got to at least hire some young whippersnapper who can advocate for this stuff and find out if it’s helpful.

*plus/minus is hardly an advanced metric, but bear with me

3 Likes

Yeah, I think he plays up the bit on the show. It also helps him avoid a thornier conversation.

He has also mentioned that there are guys on the staff who look at that stuff.

8 Likes

No but seriously what do you minus and what do you plus?

6 Likes

You’re right, he’s playing a role. And I also understand that the metrics are the shadows on the cave wall, whereas the experienced coach is looking at the actual players casting those shadows – so it’s understandable why many coaches disdain talk about the metrics. But still… when those shadows firmly disagree with you, that should at least give you pause to re-evaluate whether you’re missing something.

11 Likes

It’s stuff like this reference to Plato or proper explanations of statistical techniques that make me appreciate this forum and my fellow alumni.

I mostly used Twitter to follow UVA basketball and this forum allowed me to quit that cesspool. I’d gladly pay double.

8 Likes

Done on paying double!

4 Likes

@Spencer get this man a chair.

4 Likes

J Willy is a frequentist in a world of bayesians

4 Likes

Agree

1 Like

I use Twitter all of the time to share content and to stay plugged in with the team - but this has definitely become my favorite medium to see what other fans/alumni think about the team and what’s going on around it.

It’s as sharp as it is entertaining and it’s refreshing. Appreciate you all.

14 Likes

You are welcome XV

4 Likes