The JWILLY Show will be LIVE from Orlando tonight at 10:00 PM on YouTube, Facebook, and Twitter!

So ODU for our defensive focus and Miami for their 5 out offense. That is a mixed bag to prognosticate on. Furman is 1-2 against P6 schools this season. We will see what happens.

1 Like

Think he was more convinced on Miami compare then ODU popped into his head for D based on how we played with JJ, yes

Edit: he say JJ asked who will guard their 2 guard. Assume they will have a convo today around these things

Making my way through the episode. Good stuff. Interesting about the portal. J-Willy sort of implied they’re not focused on the portal right now, but I suspect someone is keeping an eye out, updating a spreadsheet, making notes, and maybe even laying some groundwork.

Muss has said (I believe on the record) that he spent more time on portal stuff during the NCAA run last year than on scouting, etc. I know folks roll their eyes when they hear Muss – and me, too – but he made it to the elite 8 last year AND pulled in a great haul from the portal. Gotta be able to walk and chew and gum at the same time (… says the guy avoiding his work to post his thoughts on hoops).

7 Likes

Yes. Jay also said that he likes it that the portal gets going now (more like he accepts it I think) so for sure they have eyes and ears out there

6 Likes

Unfortunately all ODU-Furman video seems to be off the internet. I think ESPN3 only archives a month or so of videos these days. There’s a 90 second highlight clip, but that won’t tell too much.

I thought the Miami comparison was interesting. Makes sense.

Miami cuts if anyone wants to refresh their memories:

Transfer activity is gonna be happening during the NCAAT whether anyone wants it or not, so may as well be accepting. Even if the NCAA tried to ban it somehow then it would just move under the table, your basic “tampering” before the trade period begins.

4 Likes

….and Vander Plas was a very important piece in that game. Omier and Miller were 6-17 from the floor, 1-5 from three.

2 Likes

Thats right. Is what it is. Am sure the assistants dont stop

5 Likes

I do roll my eyes with Muss, but I think part of that is that he is so aware of his public image, that I read everything he says as being calculated to give off this image of the guy who does things differently in an aggressive, “modern” way. Maybe that’s too cynical, but he seems like he’s always selling.

For UVA, I imagine (but have no inside knowledge of) that this is where some of the staff with “Director of” in their titles might be playing a more prominent role for now.

4 Likes

I think @Hooandtrue mentioned yesterday by Johnny Carpenter is likely monitoring it closely. Plus we probably know of a few UVA ‘fits’ that plan to enter and we’ve talked to via back channels. Will just be tbd if we recruit based on what plays out the next few weeks. With the big possible variance in roster turnover I doubt we will be unprepared.

6 Likes

The coaches that recruit always remmeber players as well. And they are always watching and taking note of players they see etc. it literally is what they do

Edit: not as well as @Hooandtrue however

2 Likes

Oh that was just a guess. Not actual info LOL. Some one is though. AAU coaches during the season sometimes market their players at other schools who are disgruntled with playing time and what not.

3 Likes

Oh, I know, seems logical though

Although, if JWilly has an hour to kill to do the podcast he can spare a min to text a transfer or two lol

4 Likes

That is my thought - there are a lot of hours in the day. Especially while they are locked up in Orlando.

1 Like

Hey man. Jay gotta have fun too!

2 Likes

Wisconsin used to be the only school that used a Sterling ball. Visiting teams either hated it or said they didn’t care. I’ve never even heard of it, but it was a Bo Ryan thing. Michigan used to use a The Rock ball. Schools use Adidas, Spaulding, UA as well as Nike and Wilson balls.

I can see using an obscure ball would give you a little bit extra home court advantage, but it’d have to hurt you on the road too.

3 Likes

You definitely get used to what you practice and play with. The Rock was new when I played and was terrible! I think we used Mikasa balls in the Great Alaskan Shootout and they were kinda lighter and seemed smaller somehow

3 Likes

Hype videos with Fleetwood Mac as the soundtrack explains why all our players are either short, transferring out, or both.

8 Likes

Nice read on J.Willy I came across:

https://richmond.com/sports/college/teel-from-richmonds-north-side-to-uva-jason-williford-living-his-hoop-dreams/article_9c052882-c2d9-11ed-83d8-affe895b4c3f.html

6 Likes