This year vs. last year + Sam

Fun thought experiment: who would be better? This year’s team as is, or last year’s team plus Sam Hauser?

Things to consider: this year’s team is currently in a rut but we’ve seen what they can do. Also, we won half our games by like 3 points last year. And lastly, Jay Huff is WAY better this year

3 Likes

Interesting question. I’m trying to figure out who would’ve started last year in this scenario. Would Huff, Diakite, Key, and Hauser all play together?

1 Like

Sam would have played a big role last year given the need for 3pnt shooting, also Key missed some decent time with injuries. I really like the key/hauser pairing since key could switch to the 2 and cover quicker guards. Also the mamadi/hauser front court would have been nice when Jay was on the bench. Mamadi could cover for a lot of hausers shortcomings on defense.

But I’ll lean towards this year because i think this team would be a train wreck without Sam. At least last year could get by just on defense but we don’t have any keys or mamadis to step up now.

1 Like

I think last years team (what we got at the end of the season) is better than this years team already. So sure toss Sam in

1 Like

Questions like this are why I love sports. It would have been a massive team. My first thought is you drop Sam to the 3 run Mamadi and Jay in the front court Kihei and Woldo/Casey manning the 2. With Mamadi and Jay in the paint, there should always be a shot blocker in the paint and catch the wings that get by Sam.

3 Likes

And you still have Brax to mess with!

4 Likes

Oh man I slept on Brax being on that team. No doubt you can use him as a 6th man do-it-all. The biggest thing for me is that team would have versatility. They can go big, they could go small, fast, defensive. They would have a plan B C and D. Plus you’d have seasoned players

5 Likes

Brax as a point forward was my favorite version of Brax

4 Likes

Last year’s team with Sam, no doubt, as of right now. Guarantee Braxton doesn’t break his hand and I’ll change that to “final answer.”

6 Likes

Sam being on last years team fixes so much of the offense it’s not even funny

4 Likes

And with that team, you could reasonably expect to be up 8 or 10 midway through the second half. Game over with that defense.

3 Likes

I agree last year plus Sam. Would be very interested to see how Casey does on that team without as much pressure as a first year. But also damn would hurt to see that team lose its postseason to COVID.

4 Likes

Great point. Casey had so much pressure to play right away when Ty and Kyle joined Dre in the draft. Instead of a slow introduction into the college game he is starting in the Carrier Dome.

4 Likes

Great point @wahoo19 it was hard enough to see last year’s team miss out on the post season and I did not think that was a Final 4 team. But add in Sam I would have changed my mind, kind of a relief to not be stuck in FSU’s what if world.

I also agree that Casey would have greatly benefited from the added help. He could have even gotten that redshirt year, that I believe he needed. Woldo could cover the game at 2 esp when you have the option to slot Braxton in where ever basically.

5 Likes

Exactly, plenty of more time to adjust to the college game, especially from a mental perspective. Assuming we can make this a scenario where a postseason happens as normal, that’s a team built for a deep run in March IMO.

2 Likes

So if Sam is on last year’s team what is the rotation? Do we roll with 6? Kihei, Tomas, Sam, Braxton, Mamadi, and Jay. Do Casey or Kody still see any meaningful time?

1 Like

I think Casey still sees time coming off the bench

2 Likes

I’d roll 7 deep with Casey and Brax off the bench but basically keep the 2-4 fluid depending on match-ups

3 Likes

Gotcha well the real answer is add Kyle Guy to last year’s team and it’s better than either season with Sam.

6 Likes

100%, Kyle would’ve averaged 20+ on that team.

6 Likes