Thoughts on empty arenas for the NCAA

Looks like some schools have emptied arenas for the games. What do you think about this? Good or bad for UVA?

ap-worcester-poly-johns-hopkins-empty-arena-1583545267

1 Like

Heard Ivy League canceled tourney? From practice I saw last Friday would be bad for us I think ha

2 Likes

CTB was asked about this on the coach’s show last night. He said it would be weird and different with an atmosphere more like pre-season scrimmage than a game.

Akil is currently in lockdown with 60M people in northern Italy and doesn’t seem too happy.

2 Likes

While I understand the need for public health concerns. I think this would be bad for everyone involved. No one wants to play a game in an empty arena.

The only silver lining I can see is it may be helpful to some lower seed teams because an empty arena takes away the home court advantage that a KU in Omaha and Gonzaga in Spokane.

The flip side of that is lower seed teams can grab some momentum from fans who want an upset and an easier path for their team.

All-in-all I think it’s bad. Those games are going to be brutal watching.

5 Likes

The world is being WAY WAY too cautious with this. Huge overreaction. Plain and simple. I have so many (mostly negative) opinions on this thing. I hate it, and I hate how the world is reacting to it. I’ll just leave it at that, but just know it’s stupid. Thank you and sorry

5 Likes

I don’t know if it is going to be even a question; some counties under a state of emergency have banned gatherings over 1,000 people, like Santa Clara County, where San Jose is. That might be where we are headed.

Slightly off-topic: I’m not a public health expert or infectious disease expert, so I encourage you to look up information from the relevant experts when thinking about this and forming your own opinion. This is a good set of starter articles that summarizes expert opinion: Coronavirus: The Vox guide to navigating the Covid-19 crisis - Vox

4 Likes

The Orioles played a closed game during the Freddie Gray riots. It was weird to watch for sure. For one thing, you could hear everything.

2 Likes

I can only imagine what those games in Italy are like right now. Would hate for it to happen here in America

2 Likes

I remember that very well. It’s a very strange feeling and for me it just doesn’t come across well.

2 Likes
2 Likes

and so it starts

3 Likes

Shit…

Not too surprising coming from Ohio. The governor had a large say in canceling the Arnold sports festival last week in Columbus. They’ve been very agressive

2 Likes

From far it feels like this is gonna be a venue to venue local municipality decision where local authorities may not be comfortable with perceived risk of some sort of outbreak among large population that they will have to take care of later. Seems pretty absurd to consider but I think this is the way they are looking at it.

2 Likes

I think you’re absolutely correct

Agreed. Hopefully there aren’t too many cancellations

ACC doesn’t give darn for what the Gov of Ohio thinks

6 Likes

Nor will the NCAA…for the moment

2 Likes

That’s really good to read

Just wash your hands people! It’s not that hard.

2 Likes