Thoughts on empty arenas for the NCAA

French perspective

https://news.yahoo.com/french-mayor-defends-smurf-rally-outcry-over-virus-001955753.html

2 Likes

I had a thought. Lets just cancel the whole thing and stay the reining champs for another year.

7 Likes

Just joking of courseā€¦

Another one

2 Likes

So now there is tones of pressure on everyone who administrates these tournaments. I can imagine they are scared more than anyone of being the guy to take all the blame and/or liability if there are any sort of virus issue. Glad Im not in their shoes. I think no matter what you do, someone is going to be angry.

4 Likes

I was just thinking, Im so happy UVA was the Champs in 2019. I have a feeling whoever wins this year is going to be robed of a true championship experience.

4 Likes

I was talking to someone earlier about this. If they dont cancel it and everyoneā€™s fine, then you keep everyone happy and everything. BUT, if they donā€™t cancel it and something does happen, then itā€™s really really really bad for them, and theyā€™re in big trouble. I guess these people are just playing it safe, and only time will tell what other conferences, the ncaa, abc the government do

2 Likes

Yeah for sure, and I almost feel bad for whoever wins it because they wonā€™t get the full experience of winning a natty that we got 11 months ago

4 Likes

The first two questions at the State of North Carolina corona virus press conference today were about basketball. Makes me proud of the ACC.

The NCAA will have much tougher choices to make. The chief medical officer that spoke today sounded like a fool.

Priorities!

2 Likes
1 Like

play on man

3 Likes

Opinions of non medical professionals are worthless for corona virus.

Itā€™s messed up that sports journos are even trying to call plays on this.

1 Like

Dan Woken saying hold my beer while I top your overreaction.

1 Like

I hate to say this but I think your right . I got a feeling we ainā€™t gonna like what is about to happen. I certainly hope not

1 Like

Itā€™s all hip before you lose forty percent of your business for the next six months.

His piece is all quotes and suppositions. He has no qualifications to speak as an expert on anything other than a basic understanding of sports media. The corona virus is serious. Following ignorants like this dude will make it worse.

2 Likes

Like I said further up, Iā€™m agreed with sticking to expert advice. That said, doing things like restricting large gatherings is part of expert advice on public health measures to slow the spread of the virus: Coronavirus: The difference between quarantine, isolation, and social distancing, explained  - Vox

This has been part of the response in several countries who have achieved some relative success in slowing down the outbreak, like Taiwan and even China: Coronavirus in China: The most important lessons from Chinaā€™s Covid-19 response - Vox

(Linking to a lot of Vox articles because they do the best job of communicating expert advice in layperson-friendly language)

I swear Iā€™m not usually an overreacting-type, but Iā€™ll admit all the expert discussion Iā€™ve seen about the public health side of things has spooked me some, so even the more drastic measures discussed donā€™t seem too crazy to me at this moment.

3 Likes
4 Likes

Great listen

This probably means nothing and if anything itā€™s a good thing https://twitter.com/bydavidgardner/status/1237751043125129216?s=21

Iā€™d say it means they have no idea what they are going to do yet and they need to make a call SOON. Games start in less than a week obviously. Teams/schools are preparing travel, flights, hotels, fans booking hotels, etc etc. Iā€™ve seen some theories that they will announce something on Selection Sunday, but I donā€™t buy that. A call is gonna need to be made (fans, no fans, all out cancel) within the next 48hrs.

1 Like