Thoughts on empty arenas for the NCAA

Agree there. it is gonna be interesting for sure

My own organization is dealing with a very similar situation currently and our annual meeting in about 10 weeks. And not surprising it comes down to money. It’s near impossible to recoup expenses unless the government at some level steps in.

Even for a large org like the NCAA that’s millions of dollars loss many of which they were banking on as future earnings and had ear marked.

Not saying that’s the right call but it certainly plays a role. Especially when it comes to venue rental.

2 Likes

Just a few thoughts:
First, public health concerns trump concerns about athletic events. I can’t imagine anyone disagrees with this.
Second, the coronavirus doesn’t represent that great a threat to healthy people under 60 who have no underlying health issues.
Third, I suspect those people in the above mentioned low risk group do have frequent contact with those outside that safe set. If not, they really should.
Fourth, restricting large gatherings of people is not going to stop the virus. People are going to get sick, regardless. It’s here, and it’s not going away anytime in the next two weeks. Restricting large gathers will slow the spread of coronavirus. That is a policy that is proven.
Fifth, and finally, slowing the virus should be the primary goal of public health officials. The reasons are clear. Slowing the spread keeps the healthcare system from being overwhelmed. Keeping the number of cases at a manageable level is paramount. If I am not mistaken, the Chinese had to build a new hospital in Wuhan to accomodate the new cases and they did it in a week. I really don’t see that happening here. Or, to use a different analogy, I think America can handle a leaky faucet. A burst water main is another issue.

6 Likes

All on the west coast but still…

The key is it’s all local government enforcing the bands. Organizations can’t afford to make those decisions without having an out. Sad but true.

2 Likes

Well said @73CAV good points

It’s spreading east coast. Uva “strongly encourages” students who are away on spring break to stay there

1 Like

who wouldnt wanna stay on spring break? ha

1 Like

UVA is canceling classes at school. All students will be taking online classes starting March 19th. Telling students who are on Spring break not to come back. Told them to go home. Its gonna spread I’m sure

1 Like

UVA not a leader here, plenty of other schools have already done this. Good decision to follow

1 Like

Likely many others schools will continue do to this. I expect many schools on the west coast closed down already

2 Likes

GT is debating the same thing right now may have already pulled the trigger on it. I believe the other local schools are as well. It’s an easy way to slow things down with minimum consequences.

1 Like

IVY League just cancelled all sports for the remainder of this school year. Not as much of an impact on basketball, but for other sports, like lacrosse, this is is nuts.

1 Like

Wow. Um I really hope that doesn’t happen with anyone else

1 Like

There it is

Wow wow wow… speechless

1 Like

So next question, how would one get credentialed as press in order to attend games?

2 Likes

Welp there ya go.

1 Like