Tony just offered Trey Green

Also in the Championship year, kihei effectively played the swingman/ small forward and that was quite successful

I totally forget the intricacies of the no middle v. packline, but I wonder if having height/length in that MIG (most important guy) spot is the big difference. Kihei gets blown up on the reg in the MIG, for obvious reasons.

Also, comparing the Baylor natty D is like comparing our D last year to our natty D. Having a Davion Mitchell / Dre Hunter along with rim protection Everyday John, Flo / Mamadi solves a lot of problems. I’m hoping we have some problem solvers on defense coming…

8 Likes

Totally agree. I just think it’s been a bad and un-Tony trend to not have a few really really high level defenders like those guys. Reece is a freak, and I think 1 or 2 of the 2022 class could become a freak defender, with Bond being labeled as that out of HS and Dunn having the frame

7 Likes

Yeah, we had a long line of great versatile wing/big defenders that made the packline work and covered up the deficiencies of other guys, and then suddenly we just didn’t. Akil, Darion, Isaiah, Dre, Mamadi, and Braxton probably did more for our defense than anyone. As soon as we didn’t have a guy like them on the roster, our defensive efficiency rating fell off a cliff.

10 Likes

Point being Trey Green is a beast and could piss off other teams, hope we get some defensive beasts (Eli!!) and Green and get back to CTB ball!

9 Likes

Xavier to host two 2023 recruits on visits this week (247sports.com)

Definitely the type of guard that has broken us down over the years. Elite shooter, quicks, aggressive and confident.

2 Likes

Who?

Green is visiting Xavier Wed/Thurs

And his shooting range is really the key here. There are diminutive quick guards aren’t all that scarce, but ones that can shoot accurately well behind the arc are so it makes him much more effective.

You can’t crowd him too far out because he’ll blow right past you, and if you give him room it’s 3 points.

7 Likes

Which other recruit is visiting with him? Just curious.

An AAU teammate, so that’s not great:

Xavier will be hosting two recruits from the class of 2023 on campus this week.

The Musketeers will welcome Trey Green and Kayden Fish on Wednesday and Thursday. Both prospects are coming on official visits.

Green is a 5-foot-10 point guard from North Carolina ranked 98th in the country by 247SPorts. He said last week that the schools most involved in his recruitment now are Xavier, Virginia, Miami, and Virginia Tech.

Fish is an unranked 6-foot-6 forward from Kansas City. He has offers from Xavier, Charlotte, Davidson, Colorado State, North Texas, Rice, UIC, and others.

The two players are teammates during the spring and summer on MoKan Elite in the Nike EYBL. They were both instrumental in their team capturing the Peach Jam championship over the weekend.

2 Likes

Gonna be a rough look if we miss out on targets to Iowa State and Xavier

11 Likes

Yeah but his Twitter offer announcement has almost 500 likes! That has to be worth more than teammates

5 Likes

Different world these days. Xavier may come in with some $$ and $$ trumps prestige in many cases.

1 Like

Why is that a rough look? We’ve lost to similar caliber before for many years. We aren’t some recruiting power.

2 Likes

Same iowa state that is about to lock in a top 10 kid. TJ is an excellent recruiter

3 Likes

Lol, really, so it would have nothing to do with immediate PT or the fact that Sean Miller is a good recruiter and apparently, somehow, has a good rep as a coach

Yep, we can lose recruits to anybody. We are very much about fit and style of play vs. ■■■■ or UNC.

Xavier’s bag package is more advanced than ours… and Miller is an experienced cheater…:joy::joy::joy:

1 Like