Tony's Biggest weakness as a coach is

Recruiting…I feel he excels in all other areas except recruiting. Its a major weakness of he and his staff…

3 Likes

2016 + 2022 classes very good. We are elite with transfer recruiting. 2017-2020 recruiting was tough, but i think this blanket statement is not 100% accurate.

8 Likes

The 2022 class is us getting right back on track in terms of having a core of players to sustain the program like Villanova. Will still need to supplement with a transfer or two (or three or four) for next season but after that we should be right on track where we have this group going forward and maybe only add one transfer to fill in for a need/too good to pass on/transfer in for a transfer out.

1 Like

I would say more “roster management”-meaning the following-

1. Getting enough people playing time
  2. When he should be recruiting certain types of players. Still not a National Championship type of Ty Jerome player on the roster whom he recruited back in 2016 and saw that potential played out in 2018 and of course 2019.

Now with that said it may be because he keeps changing and testing out different systems offensively, and therefore hasn’t kept up with the type of players to fit that system.

6 Likes

Yeah I’d label it “roster construction” but basically the same thing. Recruiting was very good before 2016 (maybe not ranking levels but better evals and great hit rate on lower ranked guys).

But I think his biggest weakness is inflexibility. He has one way to do it and doesn’t seem to adjust very well whether it is in game or just strategically tailoring his approach to the personnel he has available.

5 Likes

I think his in game management is his weakness IMHO. Seems to be caught up in the action and misses opportunities to take timeouts and set up plays.

You can point to a lot of this in our championship run in 2019, but there were coaches on the floor that covered a lot of it.

No coach is perfect. Recruiting at Virginia is just harder than our blue blood competitors for a variety of reasons.

CTB gave us something I never thought I would see in my lifetime, and for that I am eternally thankful and we are blessed to have him as our coach.

7 Likes

I personally think he reached peak handsomeness in 2018. After the National Championship he looks just a tad grayer and more vegan @chavlicek15 ?

8 Likes

seinfeld-george-costanza

7 Likes

Yep, in game situational management. Use of timeouts generally and specifically to rest guys, stop runs or especially draw up plays.

2 Likes

In-state recruiting. When the best players in your home state never come play for one of the best coaches In the country in the best conference in the country, at one of the top programs in the country….something is awry.

5 Likes

I would support the continued focus on only recruiting players from the upper Midwest and Oceania if we could just get some orange jerseys

6 Likes

Keeping a lead.

5 Likes

Great answer

2 Likes

In game substitution patterns/overall season playing time allocation (in recent seasons) and stopping negative momentum changes (Cuse, UMBC).

1 Like

Too conservative playing guys in foul trouble

3 Likes

I’ll make mine similar, but generic: tendencies become rules. 2-foul tendency is fine. 2 foul rule** isn’t. Not calling a TO and let team settle is a fine tendency, bad rule.

Tendencies that become rules makes a coach easier to gameplan against. If the opposing coach knows what you’re going to do, that can and will be used against you in a court of basketball.

**yes, I know he violates the 2 foul rule sometimes.

3 Likes

deep and I like it. Memba when Jimmy V said F it and tried to run with Houston?

2 Likes

54 to 52. Were they running?

you never see Survive and Advance?

1 Like

You know in life we say lots of thongs we dont mean. 54 - 52 maybe each team pushed the ball and missed lots of shots. I honestly remember watching, but just the ending sticks.

2 Likes