Let me be clear: I don’t know sht about sht so I could be way off. I just think some folks are living under this ridiculously naive impression that a certain highly touted freshman always intended to redshirt and so he’s cool with getting zero run this year. and I can trace this nonsense back to literally one post on another message board. Now, all these people have echoed back and forth to each other that this kid is a lock to stay. Maybe he is, but I think he’s probably not. But again, I know sht about sht
This is a weird decision. Heard yesterday he had told coaches he was down to a final 5 with VCU and JMU in it. Probably would have had real ACC choices if he had played it out longer.
https://twitter.com/houston_wilson1/status/1376315730023624711
Yeah the JAR redshirt story is a Sabre myth.
Not really weird when it’s known Richie Riley drops bags.
It’s been echoed by the the Sabre and 247 insiders that the plan was to redshirt because of his injury. It changed because of covid (no redshirt, etc) the medical staff advised to bring him on slowly. Again, that has been the plan.
Now that Jabri has been at UVA, seen the offense and practice, etc. perhaps he doesn’t see how he fits into the offense? (If he does transfer, I think it’s the latter and not playing this year).
Y’all are building up a straw man off some Sabre stuff? Of course he’s a potential transfer candidate! Top 50 kid that gets ZERO run is going to have some doubts with any program. Acting like people are burying their heads in the sand is just not accurate.
Henry Coleman was a top 50 recruit and barely played and is getting recruited over on a team that didn’t even make the tourney. Is he a transfer candidate?
Nah, that’s foolish. The staff doesn’t have the best history of how they’re handling redshirts (see comments by Hall and Hunter).
Jabri would have seen time at any other program this year. He would be foolish not to look. If we’re bringing in a transfer at the 3 or 4, would expect to see him and Justin gone.
Henry Coleman plays for Duke who has 3 recruits in the top 10 every year.
Jabri played literally 0 meaningful minutes as one of the program’s highest rated recruits in the last 10 years.
How do we know that? Kessler was a top 10 recruit and barely played at Carolina.
What were Jabri finalist before choosing UVA?
UVA fans have discussed it…on the Sabre! Transferring is easier than it has ever been. No redshirt year, within conference, it’s a free-for-all. If people don’t see these kids as potential transfer candidates, they’re not paying attention.
I work with his kin and knew he was going there this morning. He wanted maximum run wherever he transferred to.
I tend to agree with you. The basis of the comments were really flimsy at best but hopefully there’s more substantial info that can explain things. Trying to be vague!
Nah but UVA had contacted him.
https://twitter.com/jakelieberman2/status/1376322289759776768
Respect the pivot in conversation
I was more surprised by McKoys comments that no one had dialogue with him last year about not playing.
Yes I think we’re all aware that all players are at risk of transferring.
Carolina was falling apart a week ago, and now they’ve right the ship and only losing Share and Kessler, and I believe Brooks.
Right. I mean, when he took over the Hawks, they’d just posted their 6th consecutive year under .500. The year he took over, they were terrible and won 13 games. Their win totals each year he was coach:
13 → 26 → 30 → 37 → 47 → 53 and then fired
The Hawks have historically been awful (as a franchise they’re under .500), so 53 wins is one of the best totals in franchise history. But they were swept in the 2nd round of the playoffs and he was fired. This is the real question. Why fire him after the 53 win season? Despite 5 consecutive seasons of improvement they’d decided he wasn’t actually very good? I’d get it if they’d fired him early, it’d have been unfair, but understandable. Its just weird that they fired him when they did. If there’s a good reason, then IU will be making a bad hire. If its because they never saw him as more than a caretaker regardless of what he did, then he might be a good hire for IU.
With the Knicks, he took over mid-season after the woeful D’Antoni led them to an 18-24 record in lockout-shortened 2012. The Knicks went 18-6 under Woodson, finishing 36-30 and making the playoffs. The next season, the Knicks went 54-28 (winning their division for the first time since '94) getting to the second round of the playoffs for the first time since 2000. The next season they went 37-45 (which is a better record than the Knicks have posted since) but failed to make the playoffs and they fired him.
He’s been given two shots, in both cases he actually did pretty well with what he had. But in one case he was fired just as the team was actually good, in the second case he was fired the instant the team dipped to mediore (even though it was still the Knicks’ 3rd best season over almost a 20 year period. Over the last 20 seasons, the Knicks have made the playoffs 4 times and Woodson was the coach for 2 of them). Its just… weird.
Edit - Ok, I’ll stop now.
Some guy literally just seemed surprised…”should I be concerned?”
Go over to the Sabre and any thread on JAR will have 10 posts echoing the redshirt-always-plan narrative. You may understand, but many do not.
So my post is not a straw man.
Absolutely. This year, more than any other, virtually everyone should be viewed as a transfer risk. Hell, Clark is about the least probable transfer candidate I’ve seen in years and people have speculated about him transferring.
Edit - Also worth noting is that Coleman didn’t play much for Duke, but he got more than 2x the minutes JAR did.