Transfer tracking

Just curious, why would we pursue a transfer point guard? Seems like we obviously want to get one in the 2022 class, and this year we already have two.

5 Likes

Well I would classify him as a true CG because he can actually get buckets.

Also, I think CTB just was not pleased with guard play the last 2 years. They obviously need more guards and they need to be better at the guard position. And if that comes at the cost of other guards on the roster, then so be it. I love CTB but we gotta start playing the best players.

7 Likes

#semesterhood

2 Likes

It’s going to be interesting to see the roster tap dancing we will need to do soon. Sure we need guys like Gardner and hopefully get him. But it’s going to be a tricky bit of finessing to get a player that won’t necessarily interfere with developing the young guys. In the meantime make sure they are good enough to be able to play off the bench and contribute. Seems like a really tough sell. Most guys are looking to play more not less. Also how much can we rely on Kody if needed? I’m sure the coaches know. It reminds me of the 2018 season when we got Nigel Johnson even though we had a team that was nice and he came off the bench.

8 Likes

Any top 50-75 you’re going to have play the first year. They’ll be no more redshirts or at least players in that range are going to be reluctant to redshirt, so we might as well get used to that concept.

UVA needed a roster overhaul to begin. To be honest, Hauser kind of put us in a weird spot and he set us a back a little.

CTB needs to do a little better recruiting to his needs. He likes guards on the floor who can handle the ball, so they should be able to score.

5 Likes

Damn I guess McKoy is going to get himself a spot after all. I assume Bacot will be back and I personally think Kessler ends up at UNC.

1 Like

Unc fans hatred for Garrison is second only to UVA fans hatred for Kihei

3 Likes

Eyeroll emoji

7 Likes

Got no time for Kihei-ters!!!

2 Likes

Or Trey.

Either way, we’ve always been successful when we’ve had a Mamadi, Anthony Gill type player and we didn’t have that.

We can pick our poison. I honestly think their roster will be better served in the future.

1 Like

McKoy for Brooks trade.

4 Likes

Im really curious how the new transfer rule is going to affect recruiting overall. Seems to me that courting unproven high school recruits for long drawn out periods time (often years) is going to become less appealing vs. landing proven college level talent that you only need to spend a few days trying to convince.

4 Likes

Yeah, the coaches put in 2 years on Keels and like 2 weeks on Franklin.

With the guards we’re still apparently chasing, we’re about three guys from fielding a YMCA-sized team. Seriously, if we bring in more guards, might some of our existing players hit the portal? Have there been examples on other teams of guys transferring out right after transfers came in?

7 Likes

Also we have had some real success with recruiting transfers recently. You cant complaint about Key, Hauser, or Murphy. All three have been successful additions for the program. Can’t say the same for some of the high school recruits recently. I just think there is more uncertainty in recruiting from high school. I could see five years from now many of the major basketball programs dealing more with proven transfer recruits, and many more of the unproven teenage recruits starting their college days in small and mid major programs. Just my average joe opinion.

5 Likes

I mean guard play wins march. Most of the elite teams were playing 3 guards at a time. We couldnt even field 2 at a time that were high level enough. Also we dont have that many prospects on our team outside Kadin and Reece at the moment to be blatantly honest.

4 Likes

Those are two radically different players lol but I do take the point of having a traditional PF being successful for us. That being said our best lineups had Dre at the 4 and that completely changed how Tony looks at roster management.

1 Like

Yeah for sure, I know two totally different players but you get it. Having the traditional PF.

Those lineups with Dre at the 4 were great. Loved those

2 Likes

Well that’s because Dre’ at the 4 was still a defensive player of the year candidate. And of course Mamadi, Isaiah Wilkins, and Akil Mitchell were all top notch defenders. So we NEED someone at that position that can play D and If they can score then that’s a bonus.

4 Likes

What does the rumor mill say about Brooks’s possible destination?