Transfer tracking

Hopefully that means that at least we won’t be losing players who the coaching staff sees as significant contributors next year (except for the wild card possibility of Trey going pro…).

1 Like
3 Likes

Not a good sign for Trey staying.

2 Likes

Or maybe a sign of Tony to Indiana…Jk

2 Likes

I don’t see why he won’t be a first round pick. I have a really hard time believing that there are 30 better prospects than an athletic 6”9 guy that shoots 50/43/92 with defensive upside.

7 Likes

He will also test really at the combine and look great in workouts. However, I’m not really moved by the grandmother tweet haha

3 Likes

Or it could just be a postseason thank you.

8 Likes
6 Likes

Sounds like Trey’s gone. At the very least, he’ll test the waters, as he or anyone else in his position should.

3 Likes

It will be interesting on where Trey goes. He’s obviously high on shooting ability, but think he lacks athleticism and his defense is really boosted by the fact that he’s TB coached v. ability in my mind.

I can’t think of a play where Trey finished in traffic. His dunks were always emphatic, but typically from baseline cuts. Any thing contested at the rim was stuffed.

Edit: And I was saying first round back in January and got blasted on this board…kind of changed course.

1 Like

I think he has plenty of athleticism. He’s just not strong enough yet to take full advantage of it.

6 Likes

Trey’s got enough questions, which many people here have already pointed out, that I think 2nd round is more likely. He’ll go through the process, get some great feed back, talk to his family and our coaches, and then decide. If he’s projected likely 2nd round, then I think it’s a toss up regarding what he’ll do.

2 Likes

He’s not listed on any mock drafts currently. However The Ringer put out an article and they believe he’s a late lottery talent. Big upside for Trey and if he’s getting that kind of feedback, make those dreams come true.

UVA will be aight.

5 Likes

This will be a “Huge” boost for recruiting and transfers if he is a lottery pick.

4 Likes

I thought we might look at Parker Stewart before he transferred to Indiana. He’s back in the portal after the coaching change there. I hope we reach out.

2 Likes

This. The situation is a win-win for UVA. Would love to have him come back and showcase an expanded game/role, but as a rising senior, totally understand if he tests the process and wants to depart. Frankly, anything in the first round is great money, and especially if the right team makes a promise, it may be the best move for him.

Conversely if he leaves, it not only is another player development showcase for recruiting, it also opens up an opportunity for 1. High-impact transfers on the wing and 2. Guys like JAR to step into a large role. I am perfectly fine if next year is a youth movement mixed in with some seasoned transfers…

3 Likes

Many great points, just very wary of losing the top 3 scorers from a team that had trouble scoring in stretches

5 Likes

This may become the norm!

I always laugh at the notion that guys leaving early like Justin, ty and Kyle early will help us immensely in recruiting. Deandre was a true no brainer—he arguably stayed a year longer than he could have and was well rewarded for it. There’s no evidence that we’ve been able to close on guys we wouldn’t have anyway regardless of what those guys did. Joe and Malcolm having standout careers after staying their entire duration says a lot more. And trey has nba talent in my view but standing in one spot on the perimeter for 28 seconds on o as he often did didn’t show it. The guy came here to redshirt and grow stronger. He didn’t redshirt but he definitely needs another year to develop. And it’s not even close.

3 Likes

I think it is ironic to laugh at the notion of players going early not helping us land recruits in a Trey Murphy post but ok

10 Likes