Transfer tracking

I dont think it’s really playing time with Kessler. I dont think he envisions himself gone next year but maybe after 2 years from now. His family just wasn’t a fan of him just sitting in the paint, especially when he was promised to be used more like Luke May and more on the perimeter shooting/slashing/or facilitating from the top of the Key like we used huff this year.

1 Like

Yeah, I think so too. While I think UVA can give Kessler a better experience for that than UNC did (and probably more consistent PT, though it’d depend on his D), Michigan would probably do better at that than us, and Gonzaga is like the gold-standard for that. I mean, it’d be great if he comes to UVA and I think we’re an attractive option, but it’d be a surprise.

1 Like

I expect to be involved with Kessler, assume they have been prior honestly, but it seems like a longshot to me. It’s hard to get a transfer in conference, especially from UNC. Most guys want a fresh start, not to see the same opponents and their old team every year. And it’s tricky roster wise for UVA too because they’d still have to add another PF.

11 Likes

Mikey, IMO we need Tony to get to this conclusion regardless of who is on the roster next year. It was not a very effective combo WITH insane outside shooting ability at the other 3 spots on the floor. It is unlikely to be much better without Hauser and Huff.

Edit: I think I understand (to the degree possible for an outside observer) why Tony went with that combo this year. I believe he thought no other option at the 2 increased his odds of winning on a given night. So I’m not questioning Tony, per se. That said, next year I think the players on the floor at the other 3 spots are almost certain to be more “normal” in their skill sets as a group and therefore believe that no amount of improvement from either/both of Reece/Kihei on either end of the floor can offset what is being lost in offensive efficiency. I think if we play Reece and Kihei together a lot next year, then we will be bad. I’ll happily eat my words of course.

14 Likes

I hope we’re involved. The fact that we apparently contacted 3 players from a pretty lousy Penn State team is cause from concern. My personal view is swing big and hope to get a major contributor, or otherwise get an acknowledged backup. Zero interest in a middling transfer who’s going to block one of the young guys.

I think you may be underselling Lundy. Would be a solid get for us and has two years left if I’m not mistaken on that.

3 Likes
  1. 3 years with the new rules. Also that Penn State team is uber talented, even if coaching fell short. They showed flashes last year and finished 5th in the B1G before their lockerroom went to shit.

If Murphy does leave for the NBA, we need to be all in on Lundy.

2 Likes

I could be convinced on Lundy I guess. Nice size, great rebounding rate for a guard, and acceptable from 3. (Awful TO rate)

Just reaching out isn’t a reason to be concerned. No indication we will be serious about any of them. Besides you never now. Look at Chaundee Brown. Nothing special for a terrible Wake program but he saved Michigan yesterday.

Great points, Elliott! Thanks!!

1 Like

Need to get on it if we want to be in the Felder sweepstakes

1 Like

Can’t think of anything to do with your free time? Waste hours putting any transfer on Virginia’s roster to see how they change Bart Torvik’s projection for next year’s team. Might not want to look too closely at where he has the team going into next year though (although it doesn’t have Trey coming back for now).

9 Likes

I should add, it is an algorithm so it isn’t perfect, but it’s fun to see how each player could impact the team.

Until I read this post, I didn’t remember four missed layups by Brogdon. Ouch.

2 Likes

Sean Miller and Will Wade…pass

4 Likes

Here’s hoping he can be a Cam Johnson/Michael Gbinije type transfer

1 Like

Jarrod West from Marshall in portal. 40% 3 point shooter. https://twitter.com/jakeweingarten/status/1374524745983520777?s=21

1 Like

32 transfers have already landed at a new destination

Any word of transfers out of the program? Thought I read earlier we would have expected to hear of any in the last couple of days.

Not quite that quick. I don’t think CTB is done having post-season one-on-one’s with the players. If someone was just dying to get out of town no matter what, then we’d have seen them in the portal. But players who are merely leaning in a particular direction will probably want to have this meeting first.

3 Likes