Transfer wish list 2022-2023

its saying time will tell/all things are a process.

But players usually tweet things like this when they are super pissed LOL

2 Likes

Single digit minutes in four straight games. He is shooting only 40% from 2, 31% from 3, on low volume of attempts.

Thatā€™s the issue with these top 150 kids who barely play transfers. You take them not because of their production but because you think you know they can do much more. No idea if this will be a continuing trend or only last until all the covid 5th years are gone.

Like that kid who transferred to Santa Clara from Illinois. I do think itā€™s better situation for kids in that situation to transfer down to mid major and get heavy playing time.

4 Likes

Youā€™re hoping for a situation like Bryce Hopkins where he transfers to Providence and is immediately their best player after getting buried on the depth chart during his one year at Kentucky. Obviously Hopkins was a much higher rated player than Klintman coming out of HS but give him a year of development under Tony and maybe he ends up as the Dre clone that some thought he could be.

For the record I like Bobi as a player and would be happy with him transferring here (even if three hourglass emojis are far from concrete evidence and this is all baseless speculation lol) but I would prefer a more proven guy from a mid-major or potentially even a P-5 school to fill that frontcourt spot for next season.

4 Likes

Bobi has shown flashes. Like going 3-3 from 3pt land vs BC (Dunn went 3 of 3 from the field as well in a different way).

I could be wrong but I think Bobiā€™s situation at Wake Forest is Similar to Traudtā€™s here. A lot of veteran presence at the positions he plays at.

3 Likes

I will say a player like Bobi and a player like what I think Buchanan will be are two perfect iterations of what I look for as a 5 in the #wingarmy.

4 Likes

Bobiā€™s recruitment was in the days just before the ā€œnext duke bench player who transfers outā€ recruitment, when I still paid attention to UVA recruiting. IIRC I thought Bobiā€™s shot looked like butter at the time.

5 Likes

If Time is a flat circle, good chance 2022 ends up like 2016.

Mamadi, Huff, Guy, Jerome, Hunter but then picked up Braxton and then Hauser in the portal. So technically a 7 man 2016 class lol.

And tonyā€™s first class in 2010 was the ā€œ6 shootersā€. Every 6 years we have a major class it looks like.

4 Likes

I liked Bobi too. His shot looked quite good for a guy his size, but also his passing ability seemed like a very big plus. I liked Sochan too, but alas.

2 Likes

Bobi an CTB had a nice moment in the handshake line too.

4 Likes

Isnā€™t he a true freshman or is time moving by faster than I thought? How could he be expecting more game time at this point? Maybe this is reality outside of the Tony Bennett universe. Weā€™re here redshirting multiple high level first years and this guy is tweeting hour glasses.

2 Likes

I canā€™t imagine Klintmann having much interest in Virginia. If heā€™s buried in the depth chart at Wake, what is there to suggest he wouldnā€™t be buried there at Virginia? In all likelihood, heā€™d be behind Shedrick, Traudt, and Dunn for any front court minutes. And, while I have no idea if Buchanan will redshirt or not, that unknown cannot be reassuring to Klintmann. If he decides to transfer, I suspect heā€™ll pick a school with less competition for playing time.

If the staff signs a front court transfer this spring, I have a suspicion he will come from a mid-major, or lower, program, and will be someone looking to prove himself at the P6 level. If such a player is looking for guaranteed playing time, UVa will be a bad choice.

1 Like

Shedrick will be gone after 2023-2024, and Dunn (if heā€™s still here who knows) can play the 3.

Especially given Wake Forestā€™s reliance on bringing transfers in every off season he would have more opportunity here. And he would fit right into that BVP role of a playmaking/passing forward.

A good few pages on Klintman. Needs to gain strength but has been shooting much better in acc play. was 21% from 3 going into acc play but started acc play 7-12 from 3.

He had a growth spurt. No longer that quicker 6-7 wing but still a solid athletic 6-10 forward. A higher level BVP (shooting potential, play making, wingspan and defensive ceiling that will come with development).

I do agree with you that he probably would transfer to VCU or one of those Pac12 schools that was on him (Colorado, Arizona State, Utah.) to get minutes to boost his pro stock. Despite his limited play Ive seen some nba discussion about him for like ā€œone to keep an eye out onā€. SI even had him at 68 in their December mock draft but I assume Sports Illustrated is last in the modern field of draft projections to take seriously.

Iā€™m trying to rememberā€¦have any of our transfers in come to UVa because they werenā€™t getting enough minutes at the place they left?

Maybe Iā€™m brain dumping on someone, but seems like all of our guys played a lot, but were just looking for a different environment for whatever reason.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s sort of the point. If heā€™s impatient with his playing time at Wake now, why would he transfer to wait until 2025? And, after Shedrick leaves, thereā€™s still Buchanan with whom heā€™d have to compete. If Klintmann is looking for assured playing time, Virginia wonā€™t be in the discussion. I could easily be wrong, but I doubt that Klintmann is worth our consideration.

4 Likes

I forget Braxtonā€™s situation at Alabama.

With Bobi it also be how heā€™s used. Like how we used Huff and BVP as a passing and shooting forward

There is absolutely no chance that dude wants to be at UVA. If he were here right now heā€™d be getting the redshirt treatment lol
If weā€™re looking at transfers this off-season, weā€™ll be getting someone way more proven and productive than Bobi.

2 Likes

Dont think he would be waiting. But competing. Traudt (off a redshirt), Dunn (putting up similar stats to him), and Kadin (who lost playing time to BVP and the aforementioned Dunn) is much better chance for playing time than veteran forwards ahead of him And competing for a role he sees better suited for his skills (that passing big) that maybe isnā€™t present at Wake Forest.

Careful wish. You are trading production for ceiling when comparing midmajor producer to former top 150 recruit with little stats in only their first year. And just because they produced somewhere else doesnt mean they will produce at another school. Heck we see kids who stay at the same school who sometimes regress.

Yeah Bobi isnā€™t coming here regardless. But I absolutely think it would work and the opportunity for him to play right away in a role we have and need (playmaking passing big. View Traudt as more of a mike scott scoring big. Traudt would be Jayden and Bobi would be BVP in our current set up).

Heā€™s competing for playing time now, and not earning it. I doubt he wants to compete for playing time at Virginia. I imagine he wants assurances of PT wherever he goes. If he enters the portal, there will be programs pursuing him which have immediate needs. Virginia doesnā€™t have those.

2 Likes