Transfer wish list 2022-2023

I’m with you on Jaelen House and Steven Ashworth. Some other older PG names for your consideration: Greg Dolan (Cornell), Dwayne Cohill (Youngstown St), and Zyon Pullin (UC-Riverside). Any thoughts?

Note: I have come up with those names solely looking at stats - no idea how they play. Torvik may call guys ‘Scoring PGs’ who really aren’t lead guards.

3 Likes

That’s only my list as well outside catching maybe one game on the off chance

I was looking at assist to turnover ration 2:1 or close to that while also above 35% from 3.

1 Like

Ha, same-ish. I was filtering by over 6 ft (since we already have a small PG), 35% plus from three, and not a catastrophically negative defensive rating (not that I put much stock in those stats, but somewhat helpful for sorting).

2 Likes

Went to the VCU/George Mason game tonight, and if he wants to enter the portal for a 5th year, definitely think Josh Oduro from Mason could play in the ACC.

6’9, from Gainesville, VA. Was All Atlantic 10 last year.

2 Likes

https://www.si.com/nba/draft/prospect-profiles/nba-draft-scouting-report-george-masons-josh-oduro#gid=ci02aecc42100027a3&pid=usatsi_17182620

Was at the game too and said same thing to my buddy. Only thing is he doesn’t shoot 3 well so would be another Gardner, which is fine but doesn’t exactly fit well with what’s been working for us lately

Yeah, looks like around 30% range for his career…shot more last year. Don’t remember him trying one last night. Another who caught my eye is the Fernandez kid…from Richmond, only a freshman. Not sure the story on his recruitment but was pretty highly rated and picked GMU over a number of P6 offers.

How did he only get 2 rebounds in 28 minutes?

If we are in need of a lead guard, Taran Armstrong from Cal Baptist would be an excellent addition. He is likely going to test the pros, but man he is good. Would give us a Ty-like PG in terms of size.

1,426 likes, 9 comments - Jonathan Givony (@draftexpress) on Instagram: "Taran Armstrong tied his career-high with 24 points (6/8 FG and 11/13 FT) to go with 7 assists, 5..."

Also Australian, so maybe we could work that connection…

3 Likes

: Taran Armstrong , 6-6, SO, G, Cal Baptist – A legit big point guard who is originally from Tasmania, Armstrong had a sensational freshman year. He started 25 of 26 games, set a program record with 15 assists in one game, and was named the WAC Freshman of the Year after averaging 10.5 points, 5.2 rebounds, and 6.3 assists. He returns as a sophomore with an extra 15 pounds of muscle and an improved jumper. He’s one of the best passers in college basketball and if he can consistently make threes, the skepticism will be based only on how his athleticism and defense translates.

5 Likes

Looks good on the promotional video - passing, ball handling, touching the paint.

Don’t love the sub-70% FT and 33% 3P this year. Hasn’t been great either freshman or sophomore.

1 Like

Turnover rate is also pretty high.

I’m done with the foreign projects, think we’re like 0/5 on those

10 Likes

I wouldn’t say Salt was a 0 … not bad for a 2 star.

7 Likes

Not sure how you’re defining “project”, but Mamadi was terrific. He was pretty raw in high school, but his athleticism was breathtaking.

3 Likes

But Mamadi played high school ball in the US so we could actually scout him. I think people’s general issue is with guys we never see play over here. It’s just not the same watching YouTube clips of a dude lighting up the New Zealand high school league.

This Aussie wouldn’t really be like that because we’ve seen him play in the US at the collegiate level. But I personally just don’t like his stats enough to want him.

8 Likes

I am a fan of the Salt Mine and what he contributed, but he was serviceable at best.

4 Likes

International players are great to fill in the cracks of the roster as you need glue guys to fill out that 9-11 spots with players who are good with coming here to get development and not as worried about immediate PT. Would have been fine with Stattman if he had been an eight man. Having a guy like Caferro doesn’t really do any harm but provides a guy who can come in and give minutes. Really hope Taine stays because there is room for him to play an important reserve role.

1 Like

Salt was the definition of a role player. If you needed a guy to set solid screens, and do all the fundamentals required of a anchor in the packline Salt could do that. If you needed someone to get you 10pts 8boards he could set you hard screens and stick to the fundamentals.

Teams need guys like that, but as we saw in 19, sometimes you need just a little bit more and that’s where someone who can do all that and add a bit of spice on it becomes important.

10 Likes