UNC board has entire post dedicated to how much McKoy sucks

Transferring to a rival in the same conference is not respectful. Then knocking the program you left is classless.

If you prove that it was the right move by playing well in your new environment, then that is something of a justification. However, McKoy has only proven that his problem at UVA is that he’s not very good, nothing else.

8 Likes

This is 100% true, and you can really tell through social media and the way these guys interact. Our guys were thrilled for Justin when he announced for UNC, or it sure appeared that way.
I prefer a little heat between rivals, but that’s just me. Lol I’m a Randolph Macon grad; I couldn’t have imagined just chillin or being good buddies with Hampden Sydney guys

7 Likes

Yes. This. Call me old fashioned but “booing” players or opposing teams you’re not fans of is about as tame and expected in the sports world as it comes.

14 Likes

I’ll add a general thought about booing college players. I think now that some (a lot?) of these guys are getting paid, it changes the dynamic a bit. I never really had a problem with booing them in the first place but now it seems even more acceptable in my opinion.

2 Likes

Yes, boo the opposing players all you want! They’re the goddamn enemy! (Of course, that applies only in the arena. Off the court they’re just guys, and if you run into them you either leave them alone or ask for a photo.)

But it does bug me when fans are too harsh on their own player. Some of the discussion about McKoy on UNC’s board (not the thread mentioned here, but another one) goes too far. He was playing hard, it’s not his fault that he’s not Bacot.

4 Likes

Hey, when you’re playing a game, it’s OK to boo the other team. You want them to do poorly. It’s not personal.

But when you start attacking someone outside of a game, then it becomes personal, and for some weird reason, the vitriol against McKoy seems disproportionately intense and personal. We’re offended because he chose a rival, and he should have been more “respectful?” That’s crazy. He’s a kid choosing a college. He owes it to himself and his family to make the choice that’s best for him, not the one that makes his old fans feel good. It’s not like we own him.

Maybe he could have been more tactful with his post-transfer comments, but he’s 21 years old. You ever say anything when you were 21 that maybe you didn’t think out enough? That maybe, in retrospect, you could have phrased better? You ever say anything when you were 21 that you regretted?

Or, forget about the age: You ever leave a job and work for a competitor? Tell your friends that the new job offered you a chance to do things that you couldn’t do at your old job? That your new boss appreciated your value to the company more than the old boss?

I just think a little more empathy and perspective might be needed here.

9 Likes

I went to an Orioles game years ago at Camden Yards, and there was a huge contingent of Yankees fans booing the Orioles mercilessly. The Orioles were playing the Minnesota Twins.

15 Likes

Now thats funny

5 Likes

In fairness, there were probably even more Orioles fans booing the Orioles…

8 Likes

Thats more funny

4 Likes

As an Os fan i concur all of this. More yanks and sox fans show up to Camden than anywhere because it’s so cheap

4 Likes

Back in the day a buddy of mine was at Camden yards for pre-game and yelled at Sam Horn to go back to Boston. Horn took offense until my buddy explained he was a Sox fan.

6 Likes

was the booing that loud? Love this take though

1 Like

I can somewhat go with you about knocking the program you’re coming from as being classless, but if those were his true gripes with Virginia and someone asked him about them and he answered a question truthfully, that’s just being honest about your feelings. Maybe he shouldn’t say it out loud, but are we really saying honestly is classless?

Now transferring to another school in conference not being respectful is something I can’t agree with at all. What’s respect have to do with this? The conferences are generally geographically aligned, so if you want to play at the P5 level close to home, your options are pretty limited. A guy has to find the right fit for him athletically and educationally. Should he compromise on that out of respect for the school/coach he’s leaving? If you change jobs, should you rule out anything with direct competitors of your current employer out of respect to your company and boss even if your ideal dream job is with a competitor? The respect criticism is BS.

2 Likes

McKoy is just such a weird case, but I think the dislike is pretty straightforward. The optics of it are that he tried and failed to big time us. I think it’s more that than what he said (though that didn’t help) and going to a rival. I guess it’s that he tried to big time us WITH a rival AND failed.

I think McKoy would get less grief if he were doing well, frankly. We’d be more annoyed, but if he had carved a nice role I think the tone would be different.

1 Like

I don’t understand why they were booing when McKoy came into the game. They should have been cheering.

Brother McKoy was like -16 in the minutes he played against us. Joy comes in the morning.

10 Likes

I remember when this board thought his comments would yank recruiting lol

2 Likes

Or to put it in terms that @AnonymooseHoo would understand, McKoy could have been a fairly decent line cook at a Capital Grille, but he wanted to be chef de cuisine at a fancy Michelin star place, and instead he’s checking coats at the fancy place, Make sense? (probably not).

Except, to extend the metaphor, UVa is that Capital Grille and the fancy place is like the Gary’s Old Town Tavern to our Cheers. Or that other bar in Always Sunny…

3 Likes

Old men these days are so soft. Back in the day when I wasn’t an old man, the then current old men were expected to boo opposing players for any and all reasons, and they did so. They also said the young men were soft. Damn, they were right.

8 Likes

It was loud AF in the stadium. Honestly first time it started it jarred me not because it was so loud but the fact that the whole stadium was booing anything. The sustained booing even into the 2nd half was the most impressive.

There were also boos when UNC took the court for lineups… so where do you draw the line at acceptable and nonacceptable boos?

8 Likes