Updated 2021 Recruiting Rundown

Updates in the original post.

Trey Kaufman 6’8 PF from Silver Creek (IN) Ranked #97
Offered 4/20, hasn’t visited. Favorite: Indiana

Basics: Coach Bennett has stopped by to see him twice since September, before offering in April. He’s taken official visits to Indiana and Purdue. Unofficials to nearby Louisville and Kentucky.

Details: This will be hard recruitment for UVA to win. Offering later doesn’t necessarily matter because they’ve essentially been recruiting him all along. But there’s a reason it’s otherwise stayed a regional affair. He seems reluctant to consider going far from home. Indiana looks like the clear leader after Caleb Furst committed to Purdue. Louisville is actually the hometown school here, just 15 minutes from Silver Creek.

Efton Reid Kansas offer, Kentucky interest. The worry there is they drag it out.

Jordan Longino picked up a Maryland offer

Harrison Ingram is reportedly planning to release a short final list soon.

8 Likes

Quite a few new offers have gone out. Kaufman and Longino. Plus Christie ,who has had an offer for awhile ,has clearly stated that he is interested. Lots of top players, along with Reid, Keels and Holmes. Reid is only center with an offer, clear position of need. Would like to see a young man or two commit soon. I think UVA is a definite new blue blood program and some of these gentlemen will be part of UVA history and take us to a greater level (hard as that is to imagine).

4 Likes

Skimming the IU board their mods think the UVA offer and potential UNC interest my cause Kaufman to tap the brakes in hopes of visiting.

2 Likes

haha! Yeah this is 101 stuff. Everybody’s hoping to wrap up their early targets soon. Our offers scare Villanova for Longino and Indiana for Kaufman as much as Kansas does us with Efton.

10 Likes

Another 6’7ish forward, from Ohio. I think they’re just starting to check him out, no offer coming soon. Real evaluation going on right now is trying to get a jump on the guys that will be popular this Fall, The ones that would have broken out over the summer.

https://twitter.com/BretFavachio275/status/1253765797345886209

2 Likes

https://stockrisers.com/2020/04/25/five-star-junior-efton-reid-talks-recruitment-possible-reclass/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

New article on Efton, not much new information.

1 Like

HGN if Efton decided to reclassify to 2020 would we find a way to make it happen? Would CTB encourage a player to not return next year to open up a scholarship? I have to think contingency plans were made before accepting Trey for the last apparent ship.

I don’t think tony would take someone off scholarship but I also think he is very real about expectations in his end of season reviews? Maybe one of the international player sees this pandemic and wants to stay closer to home given the logistics?

Or maybe it’s a “you snooze you lose” moment? but have we ever gone this route with a player Tony has pursued as hard as Efton? Cause Tony realllly wants efton, from what we have seen (and I do too)

2 Likes

No they’re not running anyone off. These late reclass decisions aren’t exactly how kids put it forward anyway. It’s all about picking the school. Some just use it as an angle.

4 Likes

I been talking about this the last 6 weeks and even asked HGN. But nobody wanted tu discuss it. I also talked about the unknown about the school yr being a factor. So this is not coming out of nowhere on my side. Unless he reclassify he will be a Hoo and I have info about us having a spot next yr if he do reclassify. But thats a sensitive topic. But im willing tu bet he will be a Hoo if he stay in hs.

9 Likes

I agree with HGN. TB will never push a kid out but having a spot is not an issue from what im hearing.

8 Likes

I dont know much but I agree with the point that reclassifying at this point and trying to start playing basketball at the college level a year early is a huge risk with the pandemic and all the unanswered questions. Could students be stuck at home in the fall and be doing college coursework online, and completely miss out on a whole year of the real college experience that they all look forward to so much? Someone made the point if you stay in high school you might miss out on a season of high school basketball…However, being a one time high school graduate, I can say first hand that this kids look forward to their first year of university over last year of high school. Especially since they have already been living the high school experience for three years. So my hunch is Efton is a smart man and isnt going to rush into college basketball during a pandemic when everything is a tangled mess.

I think most recruits considering reclassifying wont. Wait til 2021 when there will likely be a vaccine, and basketball will be back to normal with fans and vibrant atmosphere.

3 Likes

The simple answer Daniel is, it will push them one yr closer ty becoming a pro.

1 Like

Efton talk with Jack Herron from Prep Hoops.

5 Likes

sounds like Im dead wrong about corona virus causing recruits who are considering reclassifying up to delay. In Eftons case, hes now considering it.

Interesting interview. He definitely is holding his cards close, but its obvious in minute 9 he definitely has his favorites, or is leaning in a certain direction…Minute 10 was really interesting…Very few basketball programs have humility as one of their core principles!

2 Likes

Some thoughts on that Efton interview, now that I’ve watched it all.

Three observations at least that I can say publicly Lol

1. Some recruits are reacting to the corona situation by moving forward. Others see it as taking the pressure off. Efton seems to be squarely in the latter category.
  2. There’s good insight into the pitches being made by others. NC State telling him he could play at the 4 is wild, just shows you coaches say anything kids want to hear. Ohio State’s pitch is directly targeted at UVA, emphasizing he’ll have freedom there. They don’t need to even mention UVA by name, it’s meant to contrast the worries recruits have here. It must be effective because the chatter lately is that Holtmann really has his attention.
  3. This was before his Zoom meeting with Bennett. He’s consistently downplayed UVA. It’s not hard to understand why. I caught him on IG live for a minute the other night. He was asked twice when he’ll be committing to Virginia. Clearly annoyed him.
9 Likes

Ugh

Those three points are not encouraging in the slightest haha

2 Likes

For one of the few time I’ve read your summary and have no idea where you think we stand with him. Reading your summary (haven’t watched the full interview) leads me to believe he’s in no hurry to decide and, like Keels, is annoyed everyone assumes he’s coming here. Oh and for some reason beyond me is strongly considering Bucky.

2 Likes