Updating Virginia's Transfer Recruiting (Blog)

Franklin’s at the top of my wish list because of his potential, 3pt shooting, and eligibility left. But I can’t stop envisioning a defensive backcourt of Reece and Fleming. That would be absolute hell for opposing guards

4 Likes

Lots of hints on the IU board some news is dropping soon. They’re not sure if it is Franklin , Landers, an assistant coach or most likely Xavier Johnson commitment

2 Likes

Kudos to you Forest. I can’t stand fans of opposing teams. You’re doing the good work in monitoring their boards.

Franklin supposed to be meeting with Woodson today or tomorrow. Feel like XJ would have some potential bearing on his decision which appears imminent.

Yea, adding Johnson makes a lot cooks in that backcourt. They also think Landers return is more likely than Franklin.

This week feels like something is gonna shake out one way or the other. I keep hoping Gardner and Fleming are the 2 who opt for Virginia. They both seem to bring what has been missing at each spot they play. I also like the fact they each seem to lead and bring energy when they are on the floor. Judging from what I saw this past season, the lack of leadership and energy stood out.

4 Likes

That’s what I’m hearing yeah

And we got a hard no on that.

3 Likes

Meaning we said no offer or he said no way?

I saw the kid’s name and started watching some of his clips. My eyes lit up, then I realized the Wake/Forbes connection. Kinda crossed him off once it hit me. Probably something that was done once he announced the transfer and going through the motions until he selects Wake.

1 Like

Meaning Virginia hadn’t “offered” him. I use quotes because they only use that word with transfers if the player feels he needs to hear it. Hearing from Tony Bennett regularly? You’re being recruited. No? Then you aren’t being recruited. Same as every other school and head coach.

Got it. Thanks.

It was an honor to be nominated

1 Like

Is it odd that we’ve been linked with more guards than forwards so far?

I know it was a big weakness this year, but we do technically have Carson and Taine available at the 2 next year. Assuming Trey stays NBA-bound, we have literally nobody to play minutes at either the 3 or 4.

Are these guys all more “wings” (2/3) than traditional guards (1/2) in our system? Any 3/4 types being targeted?

1 Like

UVA mentioned here with Joplin. Obviously Shaka Smart in his backyard now, that’s the overwhelming favorite.

And well probably not but UVA did try to recruit Askew for a while

2 Likes

I’m not an expert but I think adding another guard who can’t shoot would be a huge mistake

3 Likes

Another homegrown Hoosier staying put

2 Likes

Well not sure if that’s good bad or indifferent for Franklin. Good news is I think he’ll make a call soon allowing us to act accordingly

If Xavier Johnson goes their way from Pitt aswell, maybe clogged back court means he comes to us? We have 80 open minutes at the 2 and 3.

3 Likes

Have to think IU may have been the best spot for Landers, tbh. How many teams were on him? Freshman year wasn’t very good

Darryl Moraell from Maryland just hit the portal, grad transfer. Big guard, not a great 3pt shooter but I wouldn’t be opposed for a year if we miss on Franklin/Fleming.