UVA at VT thread (Sat 12pm)

UVA at VT, Saturday at Noon on ESPN 2

9 Likes

I think everyone here knows and expects Tech to play their best game of the season on Saturday, it’s their Super Bowl and last chance at a big resume boost if they wanna put themselves squarely back on the bubble. We’re gonna need our A game in order to come out of the barn with a W.

But also fuck em, Hoos by 40.

18 Likes

@HoozGotNext do you prefer to be the person who starts game threads? You write really good preview articles and I notice when other people start a game thread, your preview articles rarely get posted. Just a random thing I’ve wanted to ask, thanks.

2 Likes

Thanks @HooDat. But no I don’t mind if other people start game threads. I probably do forget to post previews sometimes. And I don’t always do them anyway. It’s just kind of when I feel like it haha

7 Likes

I would say this one and @ UNC are our two most likely Ls left on the schedule. State and Duke at home will be tough too. I think if we lose 2 more games we still likely win the league out right. I think Clemson has 3 more Ls out of these 4 vs Miami, @ UVA, @ NCSU, @ UNC.

Pitt actually has the easiest schedule left of the top 3 and has a tiebreaker over us.

6 Likes

Pitt’s last 8 are:
UL, @ FSU, BC, @ VT, GT, Syr, @ ND, @ Miami

They have proven to be good on the road, so not hard to see them losing at most 2 games maybe @ VT, @ Miami which would put them at 15-5 in the league. Probably 14-6 at worst.

4 Likes

If @HoozGotNext really cared… he could just start his own and migrate the thread that someone else started below the one he started… either way… cool by me.

2 Likes

Like I said, just a random thing I’ve been wanting to ask. Doesn’t make a difference to me either.

2 Likes

I was actually more worried about Syracuse. Given Judah Mintz ability to break down an offense. I don’t think Tech has that. Let’s hope we get out of there with a victory because NCSU is going to be tuff

I agree. Burns ability to pass out of the double team to snipers like Smith/Joiner and gasp Morsell and score the ball are a tough matchup for us. I almost say we will have to just play him striaght up and let him beat us as opposed to them making 3s. Of course, I am not sure BVP can guard him, with that said BVP could have tons of 3 pt chances as well. Will be an interesting game of chess. Keats has had Tony’s number the last couple of matchups.

Burns is such a nightmare matchup for UVA. We may need to bring out Shed and Caffaro in this one. But Jayden and BVP did well in tje 2nd half bringing the double, I think Burns is a more heady player than Edwards.

1 Like

He is a great passer, it will be tough to double him. I honestly think you stick Shed or Caffaro on him. Let Papi foul him 5 times, he is only a 64% FT shooter. Give him 15 or 20 but dont let their guards go off from 3. If we can hit 3s and not turn the ball over we should win.

1 Like

He is susceptible to foul trouble, which could work in our favor. Anywho, let’s beat the Hokies like the red head step child they are

1 Like

I can’t help but think that the results of this game will be a harbinger for how well we perform in the NCAAT.

Not sure I see it that way. Won’t be playing true road games in a barn in the NCAAT. Although I guess we could get screwed like we did with Purdue game location.

3 Likes

I could see it being representative of a 1st-Round game because VT’s program, under Mike Young especially, really is built like a scrappy, punches-above-its-weight-class mid-major, being undersized and valuing high-volume 3-point offense. The kind of team that, were they to come from the Horizon League or MVC, would be a trendy 13-4 upset pick. You know, the kind we might see to open the Dance in six weeks.

7 Likes

Yes and no. True that Maddox has been underperforming for them this season given his apparent breakout last season. That said, perimeter depth is a massive problem for the Hokies with Rodney Rice out for the season with injury, to the point they had to play Mutts at the 3 (he’s best at the 4) when Cattoor was out last month and give meaningful minutes to forward John Camden who’s not quite there yet.

That said, MJ Collins has been coming on of late; after an 8 game Dec/Jan stretch where he made only a single three pointer, he’s gone 8-13 from deep the last five games. Young may be at a point he can ride Collins for 35+ minutes if needed, just marathon his Pedulla/Cattoor/Collins backcourt.

1 Like

And factor in that Pedulla might crap his pants when he sees Kihei again considering what happened last game.

3 Likes

Did Pedulla have a terrible game? He was definitely below his average production …
But he was 4/9 FG’s - which was above his average with 10 points, 3 assists, 2 steals, 1 block and 2 turnovers.
Maybe it was more defensively having to play all 40 minutes with no rest and without fouling out and Clark going for 20 and 5 assists?

1 Like

I think the bigger factor statistically was lower usage. Kihei took him out of his game and he stopped trying to do as much.

4 Likes