UVA basketball needs new Threads thread

a third alternate jersey will never be done with Tony here. and any new unis will be Nike not UVA or Tony initiated, just not how UVA does things. The last go around, their team provides mock ups to Carla and her staff and we can suggest subtle changes if anything. Didn’t occur to them that there was no orange on the jersey i guess. They are awful

2 Likes

When is the Nike contract up? Never I assume

3 Likes

I feel like it’s got a long life left it’s only 3-4yrs old right?

3 Likes

The women’s hoops team has shown the way as the biggest issue is the lack of orange.

I know Tony isn’t going to go for a third (orange) uniform but it just looks too good and is traditional UVA and represented in most (all?) other teams on Grounds.

The women’s road blues are also so much better than the men’s simply because of the orange. The home whites would automatically be improved by a ton for both the men’s and women’s by giving them the orange treatment like the women’s road blues.

11 Likes

I don’t think the contract is an issue. If Tony went to Carla tomorrow and said I want a retro uni to introduce next year, it’d be done. As far as current unis go, he could ask for changes too.

2 Likes

Yea. I was just curious when. No huge opinion for me on uniforms but orange is a no brainer

3 Likes

The font thing is a general style change in fonts in media - simple, blocky letters without serifs because they’re allegedly easier to read on mobile device screens.

Both Wake Forest and Baylor received new fonts from Nike in their latest Nike refreshes that match this trend.

This article explains it in detail and shows lots of examples from the corporate world. Note it was written in 2020, the same year as Nike revealed its UVA rebrand.

Of course, you need to know your client and what their market / clientele supports. We dropped the ball here as UVA is a very traditionalist, classic outfit and group of supporters (see all the classic arched Virginia gear Mincers continually cranks out).

3 Likes

Yea I mean have people seen some of the adidas uniforms? And Nike or Adidas are the only two viable options

I bet Fanatics will try to enter the market in the next few years, although I don’t think they would be a better option though.