UVA Basketball Thread 11/23

Wow. Serious praise. If he goes in the first without showing out offensively then we should be and easy sell to fill his role in the portal

11 Likes

Count me in on being disappointed in Kugelā€™s game. He just seems like another athletic chucker everyone gets enamored with because they can destroy bad defenses.

17 points on 19 shots and 4 TOs is pretty bad. A lot of his points came from broken plays.Our defense was great against him.

7 Likes

I mean didnt Dunn have 7 steals if im not mistaken. Is that some kind of record? Im not sure but a sophmore snagging 7 streals in the 2nd game of his sophmore season seems other worldly to me

7 Likes

It was the first time Iā€™d seen Kugel, so he was definitely impressive, but relative to first round expectations, he was disappointing.

3 Likes

Veccine has Dunn at #22 overall in his new mock. :grimacing:

19 Likes

Yeah, we probably should enjoy watching Ryan over the next 4 months, because chances are heā€™ll be in a higher tax bracket than the rest of us in July.

16 Likes

I think youā€™re right. Thatā€™s where Iā€™d bet now, especially with people projecting him first round WITHOUT the offense.

But also could imagine him coming back to be a featured piece on offensive, wanting to get into the lottery by showing his offense in college. (Less likely scenario if heā€™s getting consistent first round buzz).

5 Likes

Beeks at 47, fwiw

3 Likes

I love Beeks but I just donā€™t see him sticking in the NBA.
I really hope he does (Capt. Obvious).
However, I just donā€™t see it.
I really hope I am wrong.

1 Like

Kugel is a typical guy that will look amazing against most every team but UVa. Guys like him wanna run around freely and get to spots and have space. Virginia has made their lives miserable over the years and I love it

18 Likes

I think he is a guy that can ā€œfigure outā€ the NBA and do things certain teams need. The NBA HAS scorers. Everyone does not have to be a scorer from the point

14 Likes

Think Dunn is at least another year away from the NBA (in my ever so ignorant view). Sure, heā€™s got the defense part down in the 3 and D that the NBA puts a premium on, but I havenā€™t seen the 3 part yet. His offense looks pretty rugged (but itā€™s only two games in). He has a great future but heā€™s a long way off from the next Dre or TMIII.

Honest question, does BB get to the NBA quicker than Dunn?

1 Like

Would love Dunn to come back but talk about another feather in Tonyā€™s cap if he goes pro after two years. I was thinking if Dunn came back we probably donā€™t need or look to add anyone in the portal given all we would return, but if he goes we would have a starting role to sell.

I think Cofie could be ready for backup 4 minutes next year

2 Likes

The challenge for Beekman is that he will be competing against a list of vets to earn that glue guy/defensive minded PG.

So many teams draft on immediate impact or upside. Those 9th/10th man roster spots can sometimes be conservative toward known entities.

Contender with limited cap space is best fit for him in my opinion.

2 Likes

Assuming he continues dominant defense and doesnā€™t start randomly shot-chucking on offense, I donā€™t think the shot will be that much of a worry. People I follow that are super entrenched in NBA circles claim that non-elite-but-serviceable shooting is one of the easiest and most consistent traits that NBA teams have learned how to develop. Itā€™s why they focus so much on just drafting players with high ceilings instead of proven products

1 Like

Not quicker, but I think he puts himself on the radar. Not really sure what his NBA archetype would be. Heā€™s got some decent midrange stuff. Next step for us is stronger at the hoop. Not really sure what he needs from an NBA perspective

1 Like

No. Dunn has ALL the measurables. Someone is gonna tempt him BIG time to come out no matter his shortcomings on offense

Edit: I completely agree on another year. But agents etc gonna wanna work with him now

13 Likes

Not worried about BB and the NBA, even if he plays every game like UF.

While true bigs used to be like gold to the NBA, now they want them to be able to spread the floor and shoot. There are a few exceptions for elite shot blockers, but not the norm.

Unless BB becomes a volume 40% shooter from 3, I see him here 4 years. Look at Bacot at UNC.

9 Likes

I think the difference between Blake and the monster college bigs (Bacot, Edey, Hunter D) is that heā€™s already switchable defensively (see the most replayed play, ever). Heā€™s got a ton of other work to do, but he doesnā€™t have that deficit.

(how soon before someone does the ā€œLol, we talking about Blake to the NBA?ā€ :joy: )

5 Likes

agree with that but it canā€™t just be stealsā€¦
& Gnar poop on my opinion all u want.lol
I hope he is the 1st overall pick in the draft and rivals MJā€¦

1 Like