UVA Basketball Thread 11/23

Tony is losing his temper a lot this year. He almost said dang there.

5 Likes

I expect heā€™s pretty embarrassed about this in hindsight. But itā€™s motivational all the same.

1 Like

Iā€™m restealing it for Facebook

9 Likes

https://x.com/5pillarspress/status/1723483082177532083?s=46&t=BborzeYVjI_-zdz6KbhRWg

Think Iā€™m team <85

12 Likes

I dunno, Iā€™m gonna have to go with the team that has Ty and Reece :bangbang: Great stuff, thanks for posting!

2 Likes

I mean, Team <85 has three players who are or have been regular starters in the NBA. Hard to pick against that.

6 Likes

One team has both Malcolm and Dre. Easy choice

3 Likes

I hate not taking the team with Ty on it, but the <85 is gonna run Dunn-Akil-Darion and just shut everything down.

5 Likes

I think itā€™s a slightly more interesting choice if you have to pick a starting 5 from each list and there is no bench.

Ty, IMac, JA, Mamadi, Huff is going is going to give you great size at every position

And then match it up with Brogs, Harris, Hunter, Wilkins, Tobey

3 Likes

I love McKneelyā€™s trajectory, but I donā€™t see any way you can take him over Kyle Guy at this point.

Also, how did Perrantes start getting underrated?

8 Likes

My thought was just that McKneely has size and strength and with Ty and Huff, the marginal gains of Guyā€™s shooting over McKneelyā€™s my not be as needed

1 Like

Feel like if X is included, Buchanan would be on left roster.

True, but youā€™ve got a lot of great help defenders and guys who can play passing lanes but not necessarily great 1v1 defenders (though Mamadi his senior year was, imo, an underrated on-ball defender), whereas both Brogs and Dre can individually ahut down almost anyone on the other team.

3 Likes

Does anyone else think iMac doesnā€™t seem to work as hard to get open shots as Guy and Harris did (running off off ball screens). Is that a product of mover/blocker or sides vs. 5 out? The various offensive sets are not something I have a great feel for.

2 Likes

Over Brogan, Hunter, Harris? Tough call!

1 Like

Not sure if thatā€™s the case. Florida made it known from the jump that they were going to take away that aspect of our offense.

I do think upperclassman Guy and Harris would be better at getting to the hoop in that case, making it harder for them to take away the 3 coming off the screen.

So I think McKneely attacking the basket is more of a work in progress. Heā€™ll get there though.

4 Likes

The whole thing is a tough call. Maybe Iā€™ve got recency bias, but itā€™s definitely pretty good list on both sides.

1 Like

https://x.com/sam_vecenie/status/1723826372609540289?s=46&t=4PsWDj5yLa3lhbMAC24E_w

23 Likes

Sounds great, Sam, but 1-4 switchability is at least one short of what we need. :joy: (thanks for posting that, have been waiting for Sam to get around to watching)

Heā€™s also doing some Dunn v Kugel in his podcast:

https://twitter.com/Sam_Vecenie/status/1723847758153662849?s=20

4 Likes

Vecenie:

• Dunn is a better prospect at the moment than Riley Kugel
  • Dunn might be the best defender in CBB outside of the dominant centers (Clingan, Kalk, etc)
  • rotates like a madman but always in the right place
  • switchable 1 ā€” 4.5
  • thereā€™s a chance he can shoot, and if he shows it even a little, first rounder no question
  • he has every physical tool that NBA teams are looking for

Him and his guest were also really disappointed with Kugelā€™s performance and his decision-making

27 Likes