šŸˆ UVa Football Postseason '23-'24

Thereā€™s been pretty loud rumors about Malachi Fields getting a lot of interest from Penn State, weā€™ll see if that actually plays out.

1 Like

Would make sense with Biscuit there.

1 Like

They donā€™t have an Offensive Coordinator. Biscuit might not even be there next year.

1 Like

Fields transferring would be a bummer, but at this point we canā€™t and shouldnā€™t try to outbid a football factory like Penn State. We have a limited NIL pool and we shouldnā€™t blow a big chunk of it on a WR. I mean, look at where well run NFL teams allocate their salary cap and draft capital. QB, OL, edge rusher, DL then WR and CB, then S and LB and TE and RB last.

WR is at least one of the positions where we have some playable depth and a transfer could come in and produce quickly. Besides Fields, I like Twitty, Harrison, Wilson and Gibson.

Glass half full perspective.

2 Likes

Good point. I hadnā€™t considered that. Do you think Franklin is safe?

1 Like

This is whatā€™s incredibly infuriating about the current system. There shouldnā€™t be ā€œinterestā€ until a kid enters the portal.

Technically, thatā€™s the way itā€™s supposed to work.

4 Likes

And unfortunately nothing will be done about it by the NCAA, at least with any form of consistency. No shot they risk getting caught up in any more litigation after constantly proving themselves to be near powerless.

1 Like

I think Franklin is safe as of now (11/29) but I think the ice is getting really thin and depending on what happens with some of the other top programs. Ryan Day and OSU comes to mind.

That said, I could see the staff getting a major overhaul including Biscuit being shown the door.

1 Like

I donā€™t want to come out as ā€œpro-tamperingā€ (that would be big brain contrarianism, even for me) ā€“ there should for sure be rules and time limits, yada yada. But if both parties are interested, thereā€™s only so much tampering rules are gonna do, and interested parties can follow the letter of the rules, and still communicate.

3 Likes

Iā€™m kind of in a similar mindset nowadays. With the ways available for people to communicate, Iā€™m hesitant to go down the rabbit hole on restricting communication from 2 interested parties. I mean sure I donā€™t want to see a PSU coach roaming the sidelines at a UVA game or anything crazy. But it becomes a murky and potentially dark area when you start tracking everyoneā€™s digital footprint.

Also how do you police any of this?

1 Like

Yeah and thatā€™s where it would get messy for the NCAA. The more they try to set and actively enforce these rules, the more theyā€™re gonna get pushback from opposing parties about these athletes and their status as amateurs. An argument that would eventually be the end of the NCAA as a whole or at the very least dissolve a large amount of their stake in college sports.

2 Likes

The staff of a school and boosters of that school are forbidden to talk to an athlete whoā€™s under a binding letter of intent at another school at any point until that athlete has entered the transfer portal (or been released from that NLI or scholarship).

I do realize that sometimes the athlete is going through backchannels to assess the market prior to making that decision to enter the portal. But the first sentence is the letter of the law.

2 Likes

Not all tampering is equal.

I mean in my current job, I donā€™t have to quit it and announce Iā€™m quitting on LinkedIn before I start job hunting. Rather, that would be moronic.

Had an old timer once call it the ā€œmonkey law of the jungle,ā€ when jumping off of the vine youā€™re swinging on, itā€™s suicide not to have another one youā€™re immediately ready to grasp on to.

4 Likes

Cool ā€” if Iā€™m a coach and one of my kids is actively looking around while playing for me, scholarship is gone.

College athletics isnā€™t a job market.

And if it is, then make them minor leagues (for football, basketball, and baseball) and get rid of the whole notion of student-athletes.

By the way ā€” tampering isnā€™t allowed in the NBA or MLB or NFL. You have to be a free agent before other teams may make contact (or players and/or their agents making contact with other teams).

I feel like the NBA tampering rule is: ā€œJust donā€™t be obvious about it.ā€ (Which includes: ā€œDeny youā€™re doing it, and donā€™t get caught.ā€) Which actually works out fairly well. You canā€™t enforce this 100%, and you probably donā€™t even want to (itā€™s reasonable and useful for teams and players to send out feelers), but you donā€™t want it getting out of hand.

3 Likes

Donā€™t be naive, college athletics is absolutely effectively a job market at this point. And comparing them to pros is apples to oranges because pros have contracts with defined expirations whereas college athletes are effectively year-to-year from both the playersā€™ and the coachesā€™ perspectives.

But if you donā€™t want to think of it like a job, then think of it like a student. If Iā€™m a regular joe student at JMU and I want to transfer to George Mason, Iā€™m under no obligation to quit JMU first or even notify them, I just put in my application to Mason and wait for a response, and then if I get accepted, only then do I need to either make a decision or notify anyone.

7 Likes

The NBA also has a ā€œlegalā€ tampering window right before the start of free agency where deals can be negotiated but not signed until the new league year starts.

The answer to all of this tampering/enforcement that the NCAA and universities will never agree to is acknowledging that athletes are employees, not students.

4 Likes
1 Like

Franklinā€™s fine. Heā€™s owed way too much for Penn State to buy him out (PSU ainā€™t TAMU) and if he was going to Mel Tucker himself out of a job, he wouldā€™ve done that already.

Hell, PSU probably makes the 12 team playoff next season and Franklinā€™ll leverage that into a contract extension. His agent is good at getting his name out there for high profile openings.

I think the idea is that the new OC would pick his position coaches, but I think Franklin makes those hires himself. When Diaz came aboard, there wasnā€™t a wholesale change in the defensive staff.

2 Likes