šŸˆ UVa Football Preseason 24

By order of request we are kicking off the 2024 football season today.

Dragonā€™s Line for wins Over/Under 3.5

7 Likes

$5 on the over, please.

5 Likes

Iā€™d follow you on that. I like the over and could even push the like to 4 or 4.5 based off what we see from pre-season.

1 Like

I expect them to win 5 games this year.

1 Like

Over. Going with 5 as well.

2 Likes

Man yā€™all gonna drive that line up before the season even kicks.

I will say if the Hoos pick up 2 wins in the first 6 or maybe 3 then itā€™s going to be a very good season.

4 Likes

Smart money would take the over since Vegas has us at 4.5, but I think your line is better. The Vegas line is an easy under to me. I think we win 4 and they spin that as enough improvement to keep Elliott.

6 Likes

Thank you did out perform Vegas last year with a 68% kill rate.

4.5 feels too agressive for me at this point. Without diving into the schedule I see a path to 5 wins but I would not feel comfortable enough placing money on it. That would put a lot of emphasis on the first 6 games and coming away with 3 wins against VMI, Wake, Maryland Coastal, UofL and BC. Because the final 6 weeks are going to be rough on the road at Clemson, home against UNC, on the road at Pitt and ND and VT with a home game against a NIL loaded SMU.

2 Likes

Surprised Vegas is at 4.5. Agreed that @BDragonā€™s line makes more sense.

And I think Elliottā€™s job is safe for another year even with 3 wins, as long as we look like an actual football team in the losses.

3 Likes

Iā€™m failing to be a contrarian, but I agree with the crowd on picking ā€œOverā€.

I think 4.5 would be a tougher pick but even then I think Iā€™d slightly lean towards the Over.

Edit - Ok, I went back and looked at the schedule again and Iā€™m slightly more pessimistic. Iā€™m thinking 4 wins, though if I had to pick O/U from 4, Iā€™d pick the Over (though not with much confidence).

3 Likes

Agree on CTB. Iā€™m not worried about his job security. Unless the team looks completely lost throughout the season, the staff will get another year if they can pick up 3 wins.

I feel good about 4 wins right now, but getting me to 5 is gonna take a few bourbons and a rewatch of the 03 Tech game.

4 Likes

I donā€™t think the number of injuries sustained last year, especially on the defensive side, is looked at enough. Offense brought in pretty good talent to fill holes, hope is that the OL continues to progress to a point that theyā€™re atleast competitiveā€¦ give me a bowl.

4 Likes

I think the difference between getting 3 or 4 wins this season will be the games @ Wake and @ Pitt. We win one of those and I think the path to 4 wins is doable.

Wins: Richmond, @Wake, @Coastal Carolina, Boston College
Losses: Maryland, Louisville, @Clemson, UNC, @Pitt, @ND, SMU, @VT

1 Like

Aw, what the hell. Iā€™m gonna take the over, and Iā€™m going to go further and say weā€™ll win 6 in the regular season, then lose a bowl game named after some company that no one ever heard of.

Iā€™m making this prediction mostly because of stupid, blind, historically unrequited optimism. But also because a) we lost a bunch of winnable games last year, so maybe our luck and/or coaching skill has improved; b) the roster looks stronger and deeper this year; and c) Iā€™m not a good evaluator of football talent, but it does seem that the staff got a lot of the players they targeted, so I hope that they know what theyā€™re doing.

6 Likes

Iā€™m in the same boat as you. That Pitt game could be a crucial opportunity to get a late season win during a brutal stretch. The Wake game is similar if they can pick up a conference win on the road early on that is something they can build on.

If they lose both Wake and Pitt itā€™ll be a long season

1 Like

Man I wanna sell it to all yall but I am a dang Hoo. 6 wins in my heart 3 max in my mind

5 Likes

I think SMU is a win. Look at the 4 teams who joined the Big XII last season. Against conference opponents besides their group they were a collective something like 2-20.

The step up to P5 is big.

2 Likes

I think SMU took note of that. They made some good moves this offseason.

1 Like

The difference is that the Big 12 was good at football, and the ACC is not.

I donā€™t think SMU will go 11-3 like they did last year, their schedule is tougher but I expect them to beat us. Preston Stone is a really good QB.

1 Like

I agree. SMU is ready for P5 ball and the ACC is a manageable step.