UVA January Discussion Thread (and Happy New Year)

In all seriousness have to think at least 1 of Armaan and Reece come back. Both and It’s title contender. Reece and it’s title contender. Armaan and it’s very good, maybe not quite title contender. Neither and very tough to say because I have no clue how the portal would play out.

I’m predicting that it’ll be the most wild offseason to follow that we’ve seen since LRA started.

12 Likes

Yes, It’s going to be vrry interesting

If you get Reece back I think the portal becomes fairly simple, you try and get a blue collar 250+ lbs. grad transfer big to help check the Bacot’s and Dickinson’s of the world, and maybe another guard/wing who can shoot the 3 depending on Armaan’s decision. Reece leaving though would make things pretty complicated, because then we’ve gotta find another PG to either back up Harris or start over him. That becomes quite the balancing act.

3 Likes

Yeah, which is kind of wild. Can see Traudt coming in for BVP, Bond coming in for Gardner, and Harris coming in for Clark. It’d be an overall weaker squad than this year’s team, but it might be even stronger by the NCAA tournament.

2 Likes

Think Armaan is back if the NIL $ equal 75% of his best overseas option. Reece is back if he gets low 2nd round/undrafted rating after the NBA workouts and we don’t make the final 4 (“unfinished business” narrative). I’m 75% on Armaan being back and <50% on Reece.

The Isaacs, with Armaan and Dunn, are going to stretch the floor like no other team we’ve had (and yes, I remember Ty, Kyle and Dre).

7 Likes
19 Likes

Armaan will be on a summer league roster. Fighting for a two-way.

4 Likes

Agreed. I don’t see Armaan coming back, especially considering the way he’s playing lately

Wide range of possible outcomes. We get Beekman and Armaan back, the team might start a little slow next year but they’ll be a beast by March. If we lose them both, we’ll need a starter-grade transfer or an elite '23 to materialize just to have enough depth.

2 Likes

In 2019 when we put Ty, Kyle, Dre, Huff and either Key or Diakite on the floor … nobody could guard them … nobody … just watch the 2nd half of at Syracuse or at UNC that year when that actually happened for a long stretch.
Those 4 dudes shooting 40%, 43%, 44% and 45% from three were a crazy lineup that stretched defenses to the breaking point …
What’s even crazier is the 3 point shooting in ACC games that year:
Huff: 53%
Hunter: 50%
Guy: 45%
Jerome: 43%
Clark: 37%

4 Likes

Random Q but have they decided on future ACC tournament locations? Interested to see if they’ll just settle on a location or keep rotating

2 Likes

Great question. I’m only seeing dates for next year in DC. Nothing beyond that.

1 Like

According to the preview of this paywalled article, no decision as of Oct 2022 ACC media day. Charlotte expected to be in the running. Id be surprised if they didn’t keep the circuit approach
https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2022/10/12/acc-headquarters-jim-phillips-legacy-union-uptown.html

2 Likes

As much as I bitch about the yrs the tournament is in NYC, the circuit approach is honestly the best given the reach of the conference.

4 Likes

Plus-minus since Jan. 1.

Beekman in: +55 (201.3 mins played)
Beekman out: -16 (38.7 MP)
Per-minute differential: +0.68

Franklin in: +49 (203.5 MP)
Franklin out: -10 (36.5 MP)
Per-minute differential: +0.51

Clark in: +41 (205.3 MP)
Clark out: -2 (34.7 MP)
Per-minute differential: +0.26

Dunn in: +21 (78.1 MP) (DNP one game)
Dunn out: +11 (121.9 MP)
Per-minute differential: +0.16

TEAM: +39 (+0.16 per minute)

Shedrick in: +16 (80.4 MP)
Shedrick out: +23 (159.6 MP)
Per-minute differential: +0.06

Caffaro in: +3 (14.6 MP) (3 games DNP)
Caffaro out: +20 (105.4 MP)
Per-minute differential: +0.02

Vander Plas in: +19 (166.0 MP)
Vander Plas out: +20 (74.0 MP)
Per-minute differential: -0.16

McKneely in: +3 (125.5 MP)
McKneely out: +36 (114.5 MP)
Per-minute differential: -0.29

Gardner in: -12 (125.4 MP)
Gardner out: +51 (114.6 MP)
Per-minute differential: -0.54

Murray: DNP in all six games.

9 Likes

Woof. Oh, Gardner…

5 Likes

I know individual play P/M are limited and flawed, and especially when it comes to extrapolating to full line-ups.

HOWEVER, I would love to see some of:
Clark
Beekman
Franklin
Dunn
Shedrick

9 Likes

SAME!!! Would also love a Beekman McKneely Armaan Dunn Shedrick lineup just to see Beekman have that type of spacing at his disposal. Would give Shedrick some easy opportunities too

7 Likes

This is the lineup they used for Shedrick’s 3 mins on Saturday and it was +6 and scored on all 4 offensive possessions.

10 Likes

Another Shed/offensive set comment. @Cuts_from_The_Corner mentioned sides as an offense that suits Shed a bit better (than 3-man), and I agree. I also have been wanting to see Shed as a roll man in a ball screen offense (spread or continuity) for years, but we’ve mostly gone away from either one of those this past year and a half. I’m not saying we should do it purely because it might be good for Shed, but it might also be a nice wrinkle to have come March. (Also remembering how our 3-man was awesome in 20-21 until it wasn’t, and then plan B seemed elusive…)

3 Likes