šŸ€ UVa Menā€™s Basketball - February 2024

I think we have turned ā€œaā€ corner. Have we turned ā€œtheā€ corner? How many more corners are there? Who the hell knows?

All I know is that if weā€™ll be in good shape if we keep winning, so I just worry about the next game. Clemson on the road will be a good test. Itā€™s a tough game, but a winnable game. Iā€™m cautiously hopeful.

3 Likes

Being silly here obv, but it is worth asking yourself: what was the problem? Or was it multiple problems? Did we fix it? If it was multiple, did we fix more than one?

As of a few games ago, our problems were:

• offense was bad (Solved? 111 in our win streak- gonna say this one has not been solved)
  • getting blown out on the road by literally any team (solved? Yes!)
  • getting blown out on the road by top 100 teams (solved? TBD)
  • headed for the NIT or worse (Solved? Weā€™ve won 5 in a row, but nothing terribly impressive, but job 1 was win! And weā€™ve been doing that)
  • canā€™t defend bigs (Solved? Yes, but how much is still an open question. We are no longer worrying about even mediocre bigs, and had a nice game v Burn and Middlebrooks. But a big status check awaitsā€¦)

All in all, I think my metaphor actually holds upā€¦

Not confusing. Actually think thatā€™s a pretty good breakdown. But would really like to get either UNC or Duke for a marquee win.

3 Likes

Am I crazy to think we have a better chance of beating Carolina at home than VT on the road?

I just always feel good against UNC and Cassell is a house of horrors even if theyā€™re a mediocre team

Iā€™m wary of the BC game. 9pm Wednesday road trip sandwiched between Carolina and Duke games. Flashbacks of 2013, classic trap game.

10 Likes

K_nP_m has both games with mid-30ā€™s win probabilities, though does think weā€™re slightly more likely to win at VT then upset UNC at home.

2 Likes

If you turn 4 corners in a seasonā€¦ are you going the same direction that you started? :thinking:

Confused Thinking GIF by JK

3 Likes

Jazz, can you please fix the k__p__ thing?

1 Like

I agree. Reece frustrates RJ and we just grind it out from there. Pretty simple formula.

@VT we seem to always shoot poorly and refs give in every year to the VT head snapping which they donā€™t call at JPJ

Its like in PanamĆ” where you can travel north south east west at same time all to go the other direction eventually

4 Likes

He did fix it hometeam

Will not tolerate this anti-math dork stance

Sureā€¦ here you goā€¦

Test: kenpomā€¦

Test: KenPom

1 Like

Thank you

Signed,
No Fun Haney

VT may be ā€œmediocreā€ but they are right behind us in the Net and would be a Quad 1 win. The best Quad 1 opportunity for us, so we better go there with a purpose.

Iā€™d say Clemson is. We havenā€™t lost in Littlejohn in more than a decade.

I am not certain that past results are predictive of future results given Clemson and Virginia are completely different teams than even last year.

I am a ā€“ probably rare ā€“ optimist about our game on Saturday, but @VT is a better matchup for us than Clemson past results notwithstanding, imo.

1 Like

Was that a Roy thing though? We havenā€™t done as well vs Hubert.
Maybe it was just they were way better in 2022?

1 Like

We also havenā€™t been as good since Roy left in fairness

4 Likes

Yessirree. Quentin Post is a tough matchup. And Conte is just such a flat environment, it easy to have a clunker.

Planning on scheduling a work trip so I can go to the game.