šŸ€ UVa Men's Basketball March 2024

Edit: @chavlicek15 faked an injury in front of 4 tri delts and asked if they had any ben gay they could appy for him

Weird, I know

2 Likes

Sounds very sensible to me.

1 Like

My favorites in order I remember them

01Uhall vs Duke: Hoos pull the upset Adam Hall sealed it with a killer dunk

14 vs Louisville: This was the coming of age moment for the program. Pitino brought a hot team in JA breaks a finger Hoos roll

06 Vs Arizona opened JPJ Sean ans crew pull a massive upset

7 Likes

Favorite game of my lifetime outside of the ncaa tourney. The energy in that building was unlike anything weā€™ve seen since and we capped it off with a buzzer beater. Perfection

4 Likes

13 years old. The next day I clipped the RTD newspaper sports page with that cover story and taped it to my wall. stayed up for 10 years - well after it wasnā€™t my room anymore. Chills.

6 Likes

Loved this oneā€¦ this is the one he stood on the scorers table after the final whistle.

4 Likes

Loved that game a hamdful of us from my HS team went and when we walked into school the next day you would have thought we won the game.

2 Likes

Surprised this one hasnā€™t come up yet but the Joe Harris game against Duke in 2013. Legendary performance and got to storm the court (the horror :scream:)

Cuse the next year and the Brogdon senior year UNC game already mentioned are also on my list

2 Likes

My wife was pregnant with our now almost 23 year old that game, and when Hall dunked I scared her so bad it caused the baby to start kicking :rofl:

6 Likes

Some (ok most if not all) remember that as the Joe Harris gameā€¦.

For me it was the Justin Anderson (post)game :joy:

2 Likes

Not in Hooville but mine that I was at are:

1. 2016 NCAA round of 32 game against Butler in the madness. Butler center - Andrew Chrabascz was killing us in the first half and early 2nd ā€” 24 points in first 23 minutes of the game ā€” and finally Brogdon told Coach he was going to guard him. Hoos came back behind Brogdon, Gill and Shayok to score 54 points in the second half and pull it out. Those 3 scored 39 combined in the 2nd half. The most amazing offensive half of basketball against a really good team in a high-pressure situation, after being held to 23 in the first half.

2. Tomas Woldetensae game winner at UNC in a sea of baby blue. A very quiet 45 minute ride home with my Tarheel friend driving. I tried to feel bad for him, but I was smiling inside profusely.

3. 2023 ACC semifinal blowout win over Clemsonā€¦ simply enjoyable from start to finish.

4. OT win at Wake when Huff hit a huge go ahead 3 in the last minute.

Edit - I will also say the first round game in 2016 against Hampton (my home town) was so enjoyable as well and a ton of Virginia fans there to celebrate with.

6 Likes

Lot of choices but one that stands out is January 1989, beating UNC at U-Hall 106-83. The Richard Morgan game (39 points).

7 Likes

This isnā€™t relevant to UVA but Iā€™ll always remember #4 cause about 15 mins later the news broke that Kobe passed away. Iā€™ll always remember where I was during that game and that moment.

1 Like

Thatā€™s crazy. I remember that too when I got home I couldnā€™t believe what I was seeing on Twitter. I thought it was a hoax at first.

2 Likes

Valentineā€™s Day. Cold hearted snake ā€” Paula Abdul

1 Like

Shouldā€™ve included this in my earlier post but one of my favorite memories wasnā€™t a huge game or anything. Just went to the November 2017 Monmouth game with a friend who doesnā€™t follow as closely as those on this board. Watches most games but has no idea about recruiting or draft projections or anything like that. The guy saw Deā€™Andre hunter in shoot around and said something to the effect of ā€˜that kid is a future first round pickā€™. Lo and behold Dre put up 20+ that game. And as we all know the rest is history

2 Likes

Man I am such a hater right now but Iā€™m so confused how a player who plays regularly can be -9 on the season on a 20 win team.

2 Likes

Shoot like we did 2nd half vs BC and replace Harris with Gertrude and we make the final four. Kinda kidding.

6 Likes

I really like prediction markets. People put their money where their mouth is, and you figure out who knows whatā€™s going on in the world while also having the best predictive data for future events like who will win the presidential election.

I would love if we had a score keeping system of sorts on this board for the many types of predictions we see. And Iā€™d love if people would put probabilities on their predictions (instead of the dreaded ā€œI think itā€™s more likely than people realizeā€ oh my god what is other peopleā€™s probability estimate and how much does yours differ by?).

So when I joked about starting hoosbets.com and saw that several people clicked on the non-existent link I decided today to create a prediction market for the UVA/Duke game. Not the result, Vegas odds give us that probability, but the more important question:

Will Gertrude play any non-garbage time? (definition in the market description)

I used a site called manifold markets which is just play money bets. The market seems to automatically start at 50%. I bet a small amount ā€œNOā€ and that pushed it to 47%.

Click above and sign up and you can make your bet. If this market gets any interest (longshot, Iā€™d put the odds at 5% :joy:) I will post more markets for the season results and other games.

EDIT: This is different than and better than a poll because if this were asked as a poll, everyone who thought the odds were 51%+ yes would vote yes and the 51%+ no people would vote no. But we wouldnā€™t actually get an estimate of the fansā€™ probability. That is to say, 90% of people voting yes wouldnā€™t imply a 90% probability at all.

Who are the top 3 in plus minus per 40?