🏀 UVa Men's Basketball March 2024

New TA article just dropped. Nothing new in there except maybe the nugget that Bennett ended practice early one time before the Wake game. But always glad to get UVA content on TA.

2 Likes

Can one of the big brained individuals here tell me- if we beat GT are we guaranteed the 3 seed?

2 Likes

Assuming we lose to Duke and Clemson/wake both win (until they play each other) we would need Clemson to beat wake. Wake would get tiebreaker over us if we finish with same record.

2 Likes

We should know the stakes of GT by tip off. Love it.

1 Like

The stakes are that it’s senior night, and Reece deserves to go out big.

20 Likes

And the stakes are already that if we lose to GT, we most assuredly won’t make the NCAA tournament.

5 Likes

Both fair, I don’t mean to take away from senior night, but the crowd gets way more into it when there’s something extra on the line. Most electric I’ve ever seen it is clenching the ACC vs Cuse in 2014

5 Likes

That was for a championship idk what I’m talking about. Friday.

2 Likes

Think I forgot the team doesn’t play games to get a late slot in the ACCT for me in DC, go hoos

2 Likes

And if we win out and Carolina beats Duke, we get the 2 seed.

5 Likes

Yes. I think everyone is forgetting this is kinda a must win as well.

1 Like

not guaranteed. If Wake Forest wins out they will be the 3 seed and we fall to 4. If Wake loses one of their remaining games, we will be a 3 seed. (Thats if we beat Georgia Tech.). If a miracle happens and we beat Duke and Georgia Tech we would be the 2 seed.

3 Likes

Duke has to lose twice, including once to us, for us to get the 2.

1 Like

This made me think… open question what are the best JPJ game day environments you’ve been in? My list of tops would be:

1 Syracuse 2014 - was sitting first row behind the bench. Excellent crowd and buzz, plus the court storm you just couldn’t beat it.

2 UNC 2016 - Game day game. Malc lead us to the huge win. Just an epic day overall.

3 Villanova 2015/2016 season - Was in December so split years but man was that one fun. UVA wins an incredible back and forth game but nova went on to win the title. And I’ve shared my personal stuff from after that game…

4 Duke 2019 - This game had it all. Gameday. UVA Big 3. Zion. Lebron James. Truly incredible atmosphere felt like we were on our feet every basket uva made. Of course Duke won on their best shooting performance of the year :roll_eyes:

5 Duke 2022 - Coach K last visit. Kihei had JPJ rocking hitting 6 3’s in the first half. Duke just pulled it out at the end. But great atmosphere again.

10 Likes

8 Likes

Feb 18, 1993 in Uhall vs Duke. Hoos win and fans rush the court. We go back to the lockerroom and I say "JJ. Can we go back out there and celebrate?

JJ “you and TJ are the captains. Fuck yea!”

We go back out and get ALL the hugs. Big Ted and Cory jump on the scorers table and take the mic and the party lasted like 30 minutes

Tough to top that one

13 Likes

Barbarians.

3 Likes

Amazing no one broke a leg right?

5 Likes

I’d say my best experiences at JPJ were (in order):

1. Louisville 2019 (the NC year). It was Senior Day for Jack Salt. Sold-out game. The atmosphere was great. Hard fought and high-quality shot-making game, we led by 3 at the half. We held on for a UVA 73 - Louisville 68 victory to close the regular season. Jerome led the way with 24. Hunter was in his funk shooting. Jerome put the team on his back, battling Nwora, and was vintage Jerome from start to finish. I remember thinking, “Ty is playing and reacting to the crowd like this is the last time we’re going to see him and he’s going to see us.”

2. We lost the game, but the 2017-2018 season where we climbed to #1. Game Day was in Charlottesville for the UVA vs. VT game. We were down 7 at the half and held VT to 16 in the second half, forcing OT. We ultimately lost to those jokers in the end, but the crowd was great and Game Day was there. Also special for me because I was able to get two tickets at midcourt (across from the benches) about 8 rows up. Never sat so close to a big-time sporting event before and it was awesome (other than the result of course).

3. UVA vs. VT 2020. This was the “Find a way to score 41 and we probably win” season. The historically great defense with the historically atrocious offense. But in this one, Braxton went off (for him especially) for 18 and we beat the Hokies 65-39.

8 Likes

No. Dudes weren’t wearing all beige crocheted sweaters with matching beige sweatpants and posing with one leg out, knee slightly bent like an instagram girl in those days.

That no one was hurt doesn’t shock me at all.

1 Like