UVa Players NBA Draft Chat

I should’ve added this in my reply. Most of the blame is Trey’s: he really can’t create his own shot yet from the perimeter and this is a big liability. So maybe I should credit Tony for finding the little wrinkle where he could create, rather than harp on not finding it sooner, but … nah, I have this keyboard right in front of me, so might as well type on it…

It looks like Trey *may end up at #14 to Golden State, #15 to the Wiz, #17 to New Orleans or #19 to New York.

Where will Virginia men’s basketball standouts land in the 2021 NBA Draft? | Sports | dailyprogress.com

4 Likes

I was going to respond that the coaches slowness in adjusting to the perimeter defensive strategies employed by Duke, etc., was probably due to lack of confidence that our players could execute the adjustments or that our guards could shoot well enough to open up the lanes to the basket. But then you added that most of the blame was on Trey and poor luck at the end of the season, so all good.

Trey’s lack of confidence driving the ball is understandable given that he’s a very late bloomer and only had a few, Covid-impacted, months in the UVA system. I’m hopeful that Trey will become a really good NBA player and be yet another testament to Tony’s player development skills. Unfortunately, the narrative that Tony somehow held Trey back will probably persist because NBA writers will never know the full story as well as we do. Dean Smith has the epitaph on his grave that he was the only person who could hold Jordan under 20 points a game, but I don’t think that really hurt his legacy. And I think Tony will be just fine too.

2 Likes

Those are really different landing spots. Two have new coaches and a ton of things in flux. GS is well living off the memory of 14,15,16,17 but honestly I’m not sure any one really knows what they have to offer either. At least with their coaching system in place, it’s probable they have the resources to develop Trey. As a Zards fan, I don’t like the potential he has to develop there. Same with NOlA

1 Like

Just need them to stream the freaking Blue-White game this year!

9 Likes

THIS TIMES A MILLION.

I mean its not going to happen. We know its not going to happen. We are going to get our hopes up that UVA will have adapted to it being 2021 but then we will get nothing and have to resort to tweets and a 1 minute video clip that shows nothing while even Citadel for the school of the deaf and blind will get their intra-squad scrimmage on ESPN.

Hell I remember one year I had to resort to a horrible quality Periscope stream that @PhonyBennett shared on twitter.

even Citadel scores shit load of points…

2 Likes

The truly odd part is they used to stream it. So very strange to pull that already limited access from your fans in the aftermath of the program’s first national title.

Hoping 2019 was genuinely because resources were stretched too thin that weekend and last year was due to covid.

Draft trades begin. Please let Ty Jerome get traded somewhere with actual potential/playoff hopes.

2 Likes

Ughhhh what??? It must be to dump contracts after next season.

1 Like

Rebuild. Do they also trade Bradley Beal?

FFS another freaking rebuild in DC? They just did that last yr 3 yrs before and 5 yrs before that.

If they haven’t traded Beal by now tbey may as well have him go down with the ship

2 Likes

Rebuild for DC makes sense. Not sure where the current core gets you outside of a five seed (at best)

5 Likes

I love Beal but he’s a scorer and not much else. Come the playoffs, he can’t hang defensively. Don’t think he’s someone you can build a team around - he’s a #2 type guy.

Ton of respect for him though and his loyalty to DC.

2 Likes

Sorry to see Landry Shamet traded by the Nets (he’s going to have a long NBA career). Javon Carter is a good defender, and maybe the Nets use the pick also received in the deal in a package to move up.

3 Likes

Some smoke that if he falls to 20 Atlanta may try to pick up Murphy and make even stronger push to move Cam Reddish. Don’t know if there is heavy enough fumes for the possibility of a trade up with Atlanta using Reddish as part of the bargain to knab Murphy at 14/15. Moreso just pufts of smoke atm

1 Like

I’m gonna go on a limb and say that Trey gets picked up no earlier than 19.

2 Likes

25 @Merch

3 Likes

I’m saying earlier than 19.

2 Likes

`I’ll say 19 exactly

2 Likes