UVa Players NBA Draft Chat

6 Likes

I think this is a really good fit for Trey. Wizards need shooting and any kind of length on the perimeter.

4 Likes

Trey Murphy *perhaps moving up to the lotteryā€¦https://twitter.com/Mike_Schmitz/status/1420032838410326040?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1420032838410326040%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_c10&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fbleacherreport.com%2Fnba-draft

7 Likes
30 Likes

Wow this was awesome and unexpected!

10 Likes

MORE OF THIS PLEASE. INJECT THIS INTO MY VEINS (and also send this video to Caleb Foster and Julian Phillips thanks).

11 Likes

Fyi- Here is NBAdraft.netā€™s assessment of Trey.

https://www.nbadraft.net/players/trey-murphy/

3 Likes

That video is huge. That should quiet some of the ā€œCTB doesnā€™t market/do social mediaā€ talk for a bit.

6 Likes

We need to have whoever does the UVA football instagram and social media take over for bball

5 Likes

GIVE. ME. MORE!!!

3 Likes

After re-reading the *Negatives, they are mostly EASILY explained based on the UVA system in which he was a perimeter player so he would run back on defense vs. be in the paint to grab rebounds. For people to NOT acknowledge that perimeter players *even if they are 6ā€™9 are not normally going to grab a lot of rebounds, just shows lack of understanding. Trey *canā€™t be everywhere at once.

1 Like

Hey @BDragon as Iā€™m sure You know, I think the UVa Bball team can have one piece of video content added per week, social media wise. I think having a consistent schedule like that isnā€™t too taxing.

2 Likes

How I feel after that video (timestamped)

5 Likes

Of course they could do that. But honestly, if thatā€™s all they were doing, one post a week, Iā€™d advise them not to even bother in my professional opinion. It requires more work than that if they want to make a legit profile online. that generates traction and engagement.

Iā€™d obviously like to see them do more because the videos are cool and they get me jazzed up. The question comes down to is it needed and is the lack of production hurting the product? If the comparison is the football team does it, then I rather the football team never do a social media post and constantly finish above .500.

While Iā€™m in the digital strategy business, I donā€™t market to kids, so I admittedly donā€™t know how much the post help or hurt recruiting.

I understand your point, and like you want more videos b/c they are cool and they show a bit of the human element, and maybe more than once per week is ideal. I would separate the product on the court/field from the product on social media as they are both two different jobs. One is the actual sport which includes the Coaching, and the other is ā€œMediaā€ which is someone elseā€™s job. As a matter of fact the media aspect doesnā€™t even have to include TB or any of the players actually *involved or *interacting with the camera crew etc. Unlike todayā€™s video the media can be filming a bit of scrimmage, practice, TB on the road, the guys out at a favorite restaurant etc. and other ideas.

3 Likes

For sure I would hope we donā€™t see CTB popping in for routine Tik Toks. @PhonyBennett can easily stand in and handle that. As you said itā€™s all something they can do and as a fan Iā€™d appreciate the peek behind the curtain itā€™s always fun. I also respect the amount of work it takes to produce and edit that content, and for whatever reason theyā€™ve decided to spend that money elsewhere, and like I said it sucks from a fan standpoint, but at the end of the day it doesnā€™t actually dampen my enjoyment of the product, so maybe they are on the right track.

The ā€œOutlookā€ portion of the review was a little disappointing in that it assigned Treyā€™s lack of offensive assertiveness and driving skills to an easy stereotype about UVAā€™s system as well as a weird conspiracy theory that our coaches were trying to hide him to lower his draft prospects. Tony experimented with an offensive system in the beginning of last season that encouraged drives to the hoop, but Trey and the other players struggled with the confidence, athleticism (not Trey on this point though) and dribbling skills to execute it. Later in the season, Tony went to some isolation type plays for Hauser and Murphy to vary the offense, but with limited success for Trey again because of confidence and dribbling shortcomings. I really believe that, with a full non-Covid impacted preseason, Trey would have exploded offensively in his second year at UVA both in his driving ability and points-wise.

3 Likes

man you got me with our guy @PhonyBennett doin tik toks and embarassing his girls. Now Havā€¦ could be next level

3 Likes

Yeah, I agree. The Outlook was a bit weird in the assessment of why he was not more aggressive but seems to help his draft narrative. I thought Trey had opportunity and just struggled to beat anyone individually - it wasnā€™t all system. Seemed like there were a couple of games where he tried to get aggressive and was just stuffed at the rim or couldnā€™t beat his man off the dribble.

UVA defense reputation however is definitely boosting his stock as a lockdown defender. I thought he was good, not great. He wasnā€™t quite as versatile defensively as heā€™s being billed.

4 Likes

Iā€™m somewhere between you and the criticism. The ā€œconspiracyā€ part is dumb, and maybe not 100% serious (but who knows). Tony went to iso plays for Murph a decent amount v. Louisville and maybe only once or twice before that (once in Miami, by memory?). But we had a stretch of games prior to that (NC St, Duke, I forget) where our very good offense got bogged down by a pretty apparent strategy: pressure the perimeter and switch. And it took us several games to figure out the counter, in a season when we didnā€™t have the luxury of waiting to figure things out. Then after Louisville, there were 3 pieces of bad luck in a row: (1) getting Cuse and their 2-3 zone, rather than a man team; (2) ACC Tourney pause; and (2) no practice (or only one) prior to Ohio. Canā€™t fault staff for what happened after Louisville (will remain a big UVa hoops ā€œwhat ifā€), but I can and do fault them for getting to the counters at a snailā€™s pace, when the season called for a hareā€™s pace.

1 Like