UVa Players NBA Draft Chat

I remember in a Brogdon article he mentioned receiving 1st round promises that never came into fruition. Though he also had a medical condition/injury at the time, which trey is free of

1 Like

I know 21 year old me wasn’t turning down a guaranteed 3-5 million.

7 Likes

There are many instances of teams telling a player they will get selected in a certain range and it proving to be totally untrue. Does this really surprise anyone? The notion that a team will “promise” as in guarantee a certain selection is farsical. It needn’t be anything sinister. Trades get made, players retire or get traded or hurt—you can absolutely get a sense for where you will likely go—that’s what the nba draft evaluation process is all about—but to rely on a given teams promise would be downright silly.

1 Like

tell that to the young men making the decision. I’m just relaying relevant info

1 Like

From what I’ve heard in various podcasts Brogdon had an all-time bad medical. Easily would have been a 1st rounder without it

1 Like

Seems like the Sixers kept their promise. I doubt they promised him to get picked at 21 but they did pick him in the 2nd and gave him a 2 year guaranteed deal. Daryl Morey is pretty well respected around the league and by agents, so I doubt he’d burn them on promises. Why risk bad blood with an agent you might have to deal with for another player you want? Even if it’s a small agency, the agents talk to each other and know who they can trust.

The risk to the player is if another team picks him before the promise team. That other team could not offer a guaranteed deal and you’re SoL.

2 Likes

56-year-old me wouldn’t turn that shizz down either!!! :laughing:

10 Likes

@HoozGotNext - with the role availability somewhat TBD based on Murphy’s stay or go decision, do you think the staff in essence has two levels of targets they are looking at for a third transfer in? I assume there is a level of guy that would only come if Murphy’s spot opened up, whereas other guys might come even for the bench role.

1 Like

Odds seem pretty high Murphy stays in the draft. But they know better than I do. Should be working under the assumption he’s gone with that message going to potential recruits. Ideally, they’d I guess you’d say replace Jabri more than Murphy. Not as much of an issue with younger transfers.

9 Likes

That should actually allow us to cast a bit of a wider net than we did for Franklin.(needed 3pt and D) and Gardner (needed a true PF). The Jabri/Murphy position can be anyone from 6-5 to 6-8, big guard, wing. Shooter or slasher. Like several others have said I’d really like to see it filled by a big guard in the Devin Hall mold.

That said, the more I look and look at our roster we need two guys. The above position transfer )(hopefully a 2-3 year impact guy) and a freshman transfer or 21 recruit 4 man in the Akil/Mamadi mold

4 Likes

Need another shooter, though.

5 Likes

I agree! Hiwever if we can get a 3/4 guy who can also block some shots, but score like Dre’ well…then we would have a lottery pick lol. So likely will need 2 separate places.

Manifest this into happening. 4 that can play the 3 off the bench. Check. Young prospect with 4 years left. Check. Previous relationship. Sort of check. Never offered but from Hargrave and has been on grounds a couple times (once for top 100 camp). Plus Justin Anderson was his coach at the top 100 camp (but was also on the same team as Keels so some bad juju that we can maybe overlook lol)

I think Kadin can be that Akil/Mamadi role for next year but another one would be dope too.

6 Likes

I’m hitting refresh every 5 seconds waiting for HGN to confirm we’ve made contact.

2 Likes

Reading the Vol Nation board, a lot of their quotes sound like Jabri and Us… but he seems to be a better defender and I imagine one doesn’t get through Hargrave Military Academy without being a high character kid. More of a system fit maybe. But in terms of a blind need, he fits all the check marks.

https://www.volnation.com/forum/threads/corey-walker-enters-transfer-portal.327971/

5 Likes

He does look good and would likely get alot of time next year even if Murphy stays.

1 Like

He also has a nice shot which could also develop. We have Dre and now Trey as examples of guys who got alot of time and shots here in his position.

Yeah skill set wise he is a match made in heaven. But for some reason again those tennessee fans talking about Corey sounds just like we did about Jabri… I think if we phone called Rick Barnes and the Hargrave coach and the AAU coach for background check and find out what’s going on and he passes we should be all in. He did have COVID and an actual injury but was able to practice later on in the season but get no run. Maybe it’s like Jabri or Justin Powell at Auburn where they didn’t want to rush him back into playing coming off an injury or health issues/he was already out of rotation by then and that caused some frustrations.

1 Like

Was listening to game theory podcast and they were saying the G league is a bad place for weight training. You constantly travel and the staffs aren’t as good as elite college programs (Mike Curtis is one of the best). If scouts think Trey needs to get stronger then it might be best to come back or just hope you can stick with the main nba roster and work with that staff.

2 Likes

Yes, there’s a misconception of the quality of coaching and strength training that’s available in G league!

1 Like