UVa Players NBA Draft Chat

I don’t think either are great in the G League. But the players have access to guys that are great outside of it and can sink so so much more time into it

5 Likes

True!

All these recruiting videos are just kids running up and down the court. No wonder half of these 5 stars struggle in set offenses.

How is anyone supposed to evaluate talent.

With the eye test. Probably why Tony is rearin to actually see the 2022 class play in person so he can get proper evals done on our actual offers and determine whether to push/find the gems he loves to find.

3 Likes

There’s nothing special or great about GLeague coaching or weight training. A player just has more access to coaching (no practice time limits as imposed by the ncaa), money to pay outside trainers and no classes and schoolwork to take time away from individual skill training. Plus there’s way more games that are 8 minutes longer played at a faster pace. A guy has more chances to get game reps in.

Tony Bennett and staff are fantastic coaches, but at 20 hours a week total practice time to allocate, how much time does Murphy get individual attention? How much time is spent coaching him to play Virginia basketball better vs developing skills that will help him get to the NBA?

But maybe Murphy will develop better if he’s the team’s focal point and leader. Maybe he thrives more in a college team environment. Maybe even with the time limits, he gets more out of being coached by our staff. Maybe the degree is important to him.

Who knows? I trust that he’ll make the best decision for him.

4 Likes

We have Carson and Tain Murray. Carson has paid his due and Murray is a stud. Both have at least 4 yrs if they want it. Develop that.

4 Likes

We need a big guard who can *defend. Especially if Trey Murphy is gone.

1 Like

I call those types a Syracuse sized wing

3 Likes

Carson is a better defender than both Guy and Jerome

1 Like

Based on what? And do you mean freshman year Guy and Jerome or junior year Guy and Jerome?

any year Guy - Freshman year Jerome.

Based on what? Carson looks underwhelming to me. Don’t think he’s 6’3.
Hope he puts on some muscle
Can he go get his shot?

He’s definitely bigger than Guy. Is Guy 6’1? He’s a shooter, won’t be needed to get his own shot right away.

1 Like

Yea I’m not sure where that claim is coming from. Carson was pretty bad defensively in high school if anyone ever watched his games. Gone blown by pretty much every time he guarded a D1 player.

Biggest positive I saw in Carson’s limited minutes was that his movement looked crisp. Something I took for granted from our guards until the last two seasons.

3 Likes

How can one claim Carson is the better defender when he’s never played D1 basketball basically. And I don’t recall him coming into college with a rep as a defender.

18 Likes

This

Carson is taller than Guy and seems to have a bigger frame to put muscle on. His reputation was as a shooter. Very limited minutes this year to judge him by (and I didn’t get my usual pregame warmup viewing of our players this year). He doesn’t seem nearly as quick and crafty as Guy, but it was such a weird season and Carson missed most of his HS senior season with his surgery, so who knows how athletic he really is. He’s gonna be a complete unknown to us if/when he makes his debut next season as a rotational player.

4 Likes

Agree on all of this. Don’t want to disrespect Carson but as far as I’m concerned he’s a virtual unkown and I’d hesitate to label him as anything more than wait and see prospect.

4 Likes

I hope you’re right but I’m not sure why you believe this. (genuinely asking)

Also, I think Ty was a really underrated defender. Despite his agility, he consistently racked up steals and played good team defense because of his great instincts.

5 Likes

I have never heard anyone mention how good Carson’s defense is. I watched him a lot in high school. He is a great shooter. Defense definitely needs work

2 Likes