UVa Players NBA Draft Chat

I like Sam and think he’s a good player. He can shoot, but he’s not quite an elite shooter. He shot 48% from inside and 41% from outside the arc for his career. Those are without a doubt solid numbers that a lot of players would kill for. But when you’re talking NBA draft you’re not talking a lot of players, you’re talking the best. Everyone on this thread seems to be in agreement with his athletic ability. So you have an good shooter, an avg athlete, a very good basketball IQ and no stand out moment

Thinking about it Hauser is a player who would have benefited from a successful post season run. The 2019 tourney took Kyle from an on the cuff not draftable to a on the cuff sneak in the 2nd round guy because he got to showcase those intangibles and had a massive moment on the big stage. Same never got to or delivered those moments.

Not saying he’s a bad player, just not a NBA draft pick.

4 Likes

Not sure where you got those numbers but you are shortchanging Sam. He’s a career 54.3% shooter from 2 (including 59.6% this year) and 43.9% from 3. And he’s not a guard. Absolutely an elite shooter for a forward.

4 Likes

His lack of athleticism really hurts him but his shooting, IQ and a knack for rebounding might eventually find him a role. I’m pulling for him. Jay is like a jack of all trades but master of none. He has a tough road to make it

1 Like

Biggest question on Hauser who does he guard?

3 Likes

I could see him being a Duncan Robinson type for the right organization…

3 Likes

The same person that Bertans, Kyle Korver, Doug McDermott, and the Miami player would guard…and probably better than any of those guys.

1 Like

Now that I think about, Kevin Huerter might be a really good comparison for Sam. Generally same height and weight, probably similar athleticism, and he’s carved out a role for Atlanta.

I think Huerter is much more athletic than Sam. Showed more on D in college and was the 19th overall pick. I’m not surprised Sam isn’t projected to get drafted. He would have benefited from more years at UVA working on D. And @BDragon is right that a deep tournament run would have helped a lot. That being said he is an elite shooter, especially at his height, and he will get the chance in the Summer League and G League to prove himself. Won’t be surprised if someone takes a flyer on Jay late in the second round.

7 Likes

Jay Huff at 85 being a 7 Foot, athletic guy who can also shoot, block 10 shots- you’re telling me that he wouldnot get 2nd round consideration but a LATE 3rd round if there ever was one?

People have already mentioned it but Sam not only shot well but rebounded better and yet he’s not too 100, while Matthew Hurt is a 2nd rounder?

2 Likes

Here’s a 3rd party draft report for Jay -

nbascoutinglive.com/jay-huff-scouting-report/#:~:text=Jay%20Huff%20is%20a%20tall,consistent%20playing%20time%20in%20games.

Defensively he gets bullied by bigs and burned by small-ball bigs. Not fast enough and not big enough.

Offensively, felt like he couldn’t create his own shot - even against smaller defenders. Didn’t have an opportunity to show other skills such as passing and frankly was a bit turnover prone. Goes without saying that he also just straight disappeared and easily baited into foul trouble.

Matthew Hurt is two years younger, I guess. Luka Garza isn’t even guaranteed as a first round pick. It’s hard out there for a big.

2 Likes

All that makes sense. I’m not trying to trash either of them just looking at it from and NBA and there are only so many spots and if I’m picking I’m going with someone younger more proven and with more upside

1 Like

IMO, I think Sam and Jay would be better off NOT being drafted and thus having the ability to choose which team to sign with as an undrafted free agent. In many ways I think it hurt Kyle that he was a 2nd round pick. He ended up in Sacramento, a team that has a surplus of guards who can score. If he’d been able to pick a team that had more need for a SG, he might be further along in his progress toward a solid roster spot. He was on the roster this year (I think because rosters were increased to compensate for COVID but I may well be wrong) but rarely played. My guess is that Sacramento does not try to sign him again and Kyle will have the freedom to pick a team that is a better fit for him.

4 Likes

That’s a great point. All 3 of those guys need time and at this point certain situations to suceed and being able to pick ans choose vs being drafted could help a lot. I’m fascinated to see where Kyle lands next season I don’t imagine he’s in the Kings future plans but I believe he’s shown enough for another shot with someone else. Same for Ty believe he has a team option for next year and wouldn’t be surprised to see OKC pass on that since they have 1k draft picks.

1 Like

Your right Dragon. He would definitely be a role player and the coach would have to pick his spots. I’m just speculating but if he goes overseas I believe he will be really good. He’s smart and has what I call the knack

2 Likes

Trey is at #31 in this one (ie, first pick in the second round):

3 Likes

Huerter is younger than Hauser. His age and lower ceiling isn’t helping Sam.

1 Like

Maybe I’m missing something but isn’t the best comparison for Hauser also the most obvious one – namely, Joe Harris?

Hauser shot slightly better than Harris in college, but they were comparable. Neither was considered particularly athletic or great defensively, but both showed they were smart, played hard, and didn’t mind being physical. Harris was a little better finishing at the rim, Hauser was better in the mid-range.

I guess the biggest difference is that Hauser is two inches taller, so he’s viewed as a power forward instead of a small forward, and that may change some teams’ calculations.

But Harris was very close to being out of the NBA after two years. The key in his case was finding the right situation on the right team. I don’t see why that wouldn’t be a realistic possibility for Hauser, too.

3 Likes

I am tryin here on this one. My problem is I have watched Joe so much recently I cant see the comparison from college days. Maybe Sam has more of the similar skills Joe has but wasnt as easy to see in his year at UVa. I think Joe is a better than average athlete though (at college level) not sure that was obvious with Sam. Key will be for Hauser the situation he finds on the way in

3 Likes

per my very limited evaluation skills the biggest difference between Joe and Sam is Joe’s mobility off-ball navigating around screens and his sneaky athleticism to have a quick enough first step attacking off dribble, and to be able to shoot while in motion coming off a ball screen.

Joe also has a higher elevation in his shoot which makes it easier for him to turn his body mid-air and it makes it tougher for defenders to block.

6 Likes

Also the different hair color makes if hard for me to compare…

6 Likes