UVA Soccer Thread - 2022

The women kicked things off the right way with an opening win over George Mason

9 Likes

The men kick off the season Thursday, August 25th against Xavier. They lost their first pre-season game against Charlotte and have one more preseason game against Bowling Green tomorrow.

4 Likes

The women blasted Loyola Maryland 6-0 to move to 2-0-0 on the season. Next up is an away game at Georgetown on Thursday.

4 Likes

Anyone going to the Men’s game against Maryland at Audi Field on Labor Day?

The women win on the road against a tough Georgetown team, 1-0. They move to 3-0-0.

The men supposedly dominated the run of play in their regular season opener against Xavier but ultimately lost 1-0 at home. A not great start for a team that has lost its way a little as of late.

5 Likes

The women move to 4-0-0 with a 5-0 win over FDU. These highlights are particularly worth checking out for the free kick goal at the end.

9 Likes

What we have heah is pure communism. The entire American way of life’s greatest threat is the spread of commie kick ball and its unhealthy influence on our impressionable youth. This is another plot to destroy America!!

4 Likes

kool aid GIF

6 Likes

The men bounced back from the Xavier loss to beat down Rider 4-0.

3 Likes

Caught part of the game. Seems like a relatively young team who will hopefully mature and make a run later in the season.

2 Likes

JMU keeper had herself a solid game, but the UVA women eventually broke through. UVA wins 2-0 and moves to 5-0-0!

8 Likes

Took kids to NC State @ Elon tonight… State dominated…. Kids had fun

3 Likes

My niece plays for JMU and is good friends with the goalie. I’ve met Alex a few times, and she’s a really nice, funny kid. She’s also the best player on that team. The girl who had the handball last night (Brittany Munson) is one of my niece’s roommates. Britt’s already been named Sun Belt DPOW twice this year, but from the highlights, it looks like she and the rest of the JMU D other than Alex had a rough go against the Hoos.

3 Likes

The men also played JMU apparently, and came away with a 3-0 win. JMU’s keeper for the men’s team had a comparatively less impressive game.

3 Likes

Big test for the men on Monday with Maryland. I think that will be a good barometer of where they are.

4 Likes

Agreed. I’m not super hopeful, but we will see.

3 Likes

The game today will be streamed on the Maryland Athletics YouTube channel for those interested.

3 Likes

The women destroyed Memphis 5-0 to move to 6-0-0. Highlights include a couple fantastic long balls and one beautiful goal from distance.

5 Likes

Welp, it sounds like the men got smacked 6-1 by Maryland at Audi Field. So I guess it did tell us where we’re at.

EDIT: Saving my hottest of takes for the future.

4 Likes

Yeah, I watched the first half on the stream. The lack of an announcer made the annoying UMD student section chants unbearable. Glad I missed the second half. A few takes:

1. The PK for the first goal was a questionable call in my mind. Our defender got the ball cleanly. The ref had a pretty bad angle but the linesmen should have seen it pretty well.
  2. Generally, I though the team struggled to keep their form and were easily broken down by UMD and lacked much creativity at all on offense.
  3. The ref was generally bad. He would call a foul, wait a minute or so, and then pull out a yellow card. It was like he was talked into it by players, or that annoying student section, every time.
  4. I’m torn as to whether Jackson Hopkins should have stayed the course and gone to UVA instead of signing for DC United as I’m also a DCU fan (unfortunately this year). He would have been dynamite in attack against college competition IMO.

Probably going to be a long year. Let’s just hope the men can beat Tech this week.

7 Likes