UVA Soccer Thread - 2022

Time for a new head coach

3 Likes

Yeah, heā€™s been there since Arena, right?

I uhā€¦ Iā€™m starting to feel that way.

2 Likes

Yea man. He was Bruces assistant all those years then had big success after taking over (after a few years). Matt Chulis should take over

1 Like

kinda assumed was your hot take. my bad if I Fā€™d it up

1 Like

Haha, naw, I just am torn on whether itā€™s time to put it out there or wait until the end of the season. Coach has won us a national championship and gotten us to another final. I just donā€™t think weā€™ve been playing a particularly good brand of soccer in a while, even when we were having some of that success. But we shall see.

1 Like

2 national championships I think

3 Likes

I remember how they sneaked that one from UCLA. And the coaches admitted it. Even in soccer lotta the kids drink the Kool Aid in college and think they are pros real early

1 Like

Think so as well

Yeah, I kind of thought that as I typed it, and Iā€™ll admitā€¦ I was just too lazy to double check.

But it makes for an interesting debate. If you win two natties, there are good arguments for you to just keep going until you want to. At the same time, with a program that has reached the heights that our hasā€¦ do you let it stagnate?

2 Likes

And this is a much different era of college soccer then when Coach took over. With so many kids going to MLS academies or overseas and skipping college, you have to find those diamonds in the rough (e.g., Daryl Dike, Henry Kessler). And canā€™t plan on them staying four years.

He, or someone on his staff, can clearly recruit as they got Weston McKennie to commit albeit he decided to go the Bundesliga instead (who can blame him?). But there might need to be new blood/fresh perspective to not focus on those types of players and rather high probability college soccer players who will play a couple of years.

3 Likes

Theyā€™ve been very poor recently, but I thought the 2019 team was incredibly fun to watch. Even though they fell just short of the NC title on PKs, that was probably Coach Gā€™s best team at UVA. Like the 2019 basketball team, everyone went pro after that season and the team has yet to recover its form.

4 Likes

Have a family friend that originally committed to Arenas and then decided to play abroad out of high school - rare at the time. They felt he never got a fair shake with USMNT as a result.

1 Like

Wow thats crazy. I know all those guys from UVa very very well and I bet he didnt get a fair shake from USMNT (for whatever reason). It is a weird organisation as is MLS

How did the dude do overseas and in professiinal career?

1 Like

Pretty good career. Entirely in the Bundesliga 2nd and 3rd divisions. He had a lot of ill timed injuries. Runs a club out of Fredericksburg since back in the states.

He played on the U-17 and U-20 national teams before going abroad.

2 Likes

Thanks for sending. Claudios first job was Bundesliga outta UVa. Back then they were notorious for not wanting Americans to make their league. nothing easy

1 Like

I remember Groverā€¦ we played against him when I was in High School in the Virginia State playoffs.

1 Like

What HS were you at Jazz?

1 Like

Clover Hill

3 Likes

The women continued their dominant start, smashing visiting Oregon State 5-0. Rough night for Oregon Stā€™s keeper unfortunately (as a fellow goalie, I hate seeing keeping mistakes), but a good night for the Hoos.

4 Likes